Author Topic: Desperate for guidance  (Read 1131 times)

Offline Rosie Bone

Desperate for guidance
« on: May 25, 2015, 01:27:18 PM »
Can anyone help.  First time owner of a working cocker, we broughtBella home with us when she was 8 wks old.  Have taken her to puppy social classes 5wks. Then onto 6 wks of KC good citizen plus a further 6 wks. All through this training we have trained at home and in the garden.  She was the naughtiest in the class completely hyper constantly trying to play with the other dogs, found the toy bag which she then jumped into and started to pull all the toys out (clown of the class). Her basic standard is not too bad without distractions, with distractions appears to have no training at all.  We have then gone onto a one to one trainer, which seemed to work, finally light at the end of the tunnel, we thought.  The Bella has her first season, and did not ealk her outside for a month, played retrieve in the garden, as we were advised no point training as a waste of time due to the hormones.  Since this we appeared to have gone backwards again.  Lost her8 wks ago for 20mins so one to one training again and no off lead just on a 30ft training lead, 6 wks on still cannot not trust her off lead, she is now 12mths old and do not know what to do next, her excitement level is 10 and looses focus immediately on seeing another dog or human, plus I think she is going through the teenage mode. Should we take her for gun dog training to focus her hunting instinct and control.  My gear is she will cause chaos.  Please please help

Offline minimoo

• Donator
Re: Desperate for guidance
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 04:01:22 PM »
Hello, a working cocker has very high energy levels, theres a saying that goes like this , a labrador is born half trained and a cocker will die half trained  >:( , if you persevere it will get better . to be honest i dont think you can not not  walk a cocker for a month , get her spayed or walk her somewhere where there is not alot of other dogs . im sure someone will come along with some good advice
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 04:05:22 PM »
Bella sound like a typical cocker  :005: and yes it sounds like hormones  ;) persevere with going back to basics as you are doing, within a couple weeks you'll notice a difference....

Gun dog training is a good idea as they will teach you some coping strategies, how to stop her being too friendly with other dogs plus the stop whistle - which will definitely be of benefit to you  ;)

Jayne
X

Offline Koslg

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 05:24:21 PM »
Humbug whined through his first training course and only wanted to play with other puppies. He did the same with course 2. Course 3 slightly better inside - week outside was wild and refused yo hear me. We've kept going. Course 6 he got to advanced - last week of course a bit if fun he ran off to other side of paddock and wouldn't come back. We keep practising. He's now 5.

Offline Rosie Bone

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 06:52:20 PM »
Thank you minimoo you did make me laugh :D Yes Bella will be spayed in the next couple of wks so hopefully that will sort the walking out, however we did play retrieve with her in the garden for an hour am and pm. Just waiting to hear from a gun dog trainer to call back to organise a one to one and assessment to see how bad things are and hopefully start the training as soon as possible. Koslg Is humbug 5 months old or 5 yrs old? Bless them, they are soooooo frustrating >:( However so adorable tears of joy and desperation all wrapped up together x

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 09:16:13 PM »
Can not recall how many times we have gone back to basics with Gemma. Even now aged 4 every walk contains some form of training/obedience. might just be whistle recalls or long distance sits etc. you can not stop when you think they have mastered all you want them to do, once you have trained your worker then the re-enforcing starts  ;)
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2015, 09:46:01 AM »
If you read back on some old threads you will see that it is usually a cocker who is the naughtiest dog in class!

They are very bright and if the job they have been given is boring they will look for mischief - well to be honest they look for mischief all the time anyway. Stick with it and don't be put off by the fact that you can't make your cocker behave like some other breeds. Cockers are a one off. They drive you to distraction and then do something so wonderful that you are laughing about it for the rest of the day!

Offline Rosie Bone

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2015, 01:00:55 PM »
Sodpot2000 spot on! Bella always make laugh everyday and cry :005: