Author Topic: Changes after neuter  (Read 1746 times)

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
Changes after neuter
« on: May 20, 2015, 01:35:02 PM »
Tomorrow will be exactly three weeks since Riley (aged 3)  was neutered.
He recovered really quick and was a real good patient, not bothered about not getting out much etc. Good boy he was.

Couple of things I so far noticed .

No change in his temprament, his activity levels, his happiness  :D

The most strange thing that has changed is literally from the operation, he marked much less. His wee has changed dramatically too.
He had a strong smell of wee, sometimes at night we would be sitting and suddenly get a whiff of him, maybe where he had wee,d on his skirt etc.
His skirt is much better condition too as its not always getting soaked in wee ( I know we might have to change his style if his coat changes dramatically) that I can cope with .
We both just are amazed how from the day of the op literally he stopped smelling bad lol.

Out and about, ok as I said he marks less , a LOT less.
Off lead (the main reason we got the op)  he is so different, ok Im not wanting to count chickens completely BUT so far he hasnt went off on his scent trailing (ok could be there are no bitches in season I know that)
But also he doesnt venture far, he will go off for his ball, bring it back have a sniff but thats it, he isnt as obsessed as he was.
He often too comes and just sits or lays down beside who ever has taken him out.
On a whole he wanders not far.
I know its early days but so far so good.

He doesnt lick his bits either, he used to at times do what they do, but he hasnt at all, or I havent seen him.
He is dry down there and so much cleaner it seems.
SO for Riley I think we have completely made the right decision.

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
Re: Changes after neuter
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 05:10:58 PM »
I'm really pleased he's doing do well, and that you are happy with the decision.
So long as Riley is happy that's all that matters :)
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 05:36:09 PM »
I'm really pleased he's doing do well, and that you are happy with the decision.
So long as Riley is happy that's all that matters :)

Thanks , so far so good .

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 09:27:41 PM »
So pleased to read the neuter has had what you wanted.  :D
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 04:54:26 PM »
So pleased to read the neuter has had what you wanted.  :D

Thank you, how is minstrel doing ?

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 05:16:26 PM »
He is doing ok, thanks, I have noticed too that he does not smell of pee so much, but he has had a few advances from male dogs whilst we are out that he did not used to get - he must carry a different scent now. Luckily in most cases he can outrun them, but a couple have been a nuisance.  ph34r

Will see how it goes, I did phone the vets and told them, but they did not seem to think it had anything to do with his nuetering, I'm not so sure. Branston does try - but I think his is more puppy behaviour (as he did it b4 Minstrel's op), altho at 9 months now, that is debatable I suppose  :dunno:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 05:23:21 PM »
He is doing ok, thanks, I have noticed too that he does not smell of pee so much, but he has had a few advances from male dogs whilst we are out that he did not used to get - he must carry a different scent now. Luckily in most cases he can outrun them, but a couple have been a nuisance.  ph34r

Will see how it goes, I did phone the vets and told them, but they did not seem to think it had anything to do with his nuetering, I'm not so sure. Branston does try - but I think his is more puppy behaviour, altho at 9 months, that is debatable I suppose  :dunno:

Its funny you say that as about a week ago, I was talking to a man who I see regularly on walks, he has two dogs, lasa and a collie.
Normally neither are interested or come near Riley in the 3 years Ive known them, The both of them were sniffing his nether regions though when I met him again after the neuter. So far its the only instance .

Also Riley before neutering used to be interested in a shitzu we know , male neutered one at that.
Every time we would meet him Riley would have a good old sniff of his bits, more than normally to what he would.

I disagree with your vet as Ive seen this first hand.
It does say though that "some" male neutered dogs are shown interest from male intact dogs at times.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 06:36:55 PM »
I think I can remember Smudge, on occassions being attractive to other male (I assume uncastrated) dogs, so I think it can happen, too. One in particular, was a right pain and in the end, although I was friendly with the lady, had to change my walking pattern, times etc., so we did not meet.

I'm sure I have read it somewhere too, on a vet site funnily enough.

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 06:38:59 PM »
I think I can remember Smudge, on occassions being attractive to other male (I assume uncastrated) dogs, so I think it can happen, too. One in particular, was a right pain and in the end, although I was friendly with the lady, had to change my walking pattern, times etc., so we did not meet.

Yes its not fair , its a whole new world isnt it haha.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 06:43:24 PM »

It is indeed  :shades: Funny how these vets though can dismiss out of hand what has been experienced by owners  >:(

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2015, 07:06:43 PM »

It is indeed  :shades: Funny how these vets though can dismiss out of hand what has been experienced by owners  >:([/b]

Scary even  ph34r