Author Topic: Toilet training around the house!  (Read 1029 times)

Offline PollySpaull

Toilet training around the house!
« on: May 16, 2015, 09:32:29 AM »
Hi all, need some advice!

Monty has his own play pen with his crate attached. He loves his pen and it's his own little area. He hates having accidents in there so since day 2 of having him he's let us know when he needs the toilet so that we can take him outside. So... We thought we had the toilet business cracked!

However... He doesn't have the same respect for the rest of the house. If the back door is open he will take himself out. But... If it's closed, he won't try to let us know that he needs to go he will just go! I haven't been punishing him for this, just picking him up and popping him outside, but obviously he has already been so just looks a tad confused!

Any tips would be extremely helpful!!

Polly and Monty x

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: Toilet training around the house!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 11:45:36 AM »
Do you take him out at regular intervals and stay with him? He's too young to be able to hold on for long and won't have much physical control for a while yet, so I'd take him outside every time he wakes up, straight after eating and every half hour or so when he's awake.

Teach him a cue word or phrase. I use "go pee" and taught it by saying it when the puppy was mid pee or poo. Once he associates the phrase with the action you can say it to him when you take him in the garden to encourage him to pee or poop. It will be really useful throughout his life when you want him to pee before bedtime or before you go out and leave him for a while.

If you take him out frequently the accidents will decrease and he will actually realise that the garden is the place to be when he needs to go.

Offline maxineh

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 09:14:40 PM »
Monty looks just like my poppy  :luv: bless him. He's only a baby still so it takes a while to get them to tell you when they need to go outside. With poppy I spent the first six weeks constantly taking her out and giving her a key word to pee. At first every half an hour gradually leaving it longer. It takes patience and being consistent. It feels like you are never going to get there and there seems to be days when you go backwards. Sounds like he's doing really well though. Just keep going and remember cockers online is full of great advice and everyone has been there. If I can work out how to post a photo again I'll show you poppy as a puppy and now at 2.

Offline PollySpaull

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 03:38:08 PM »
Thanks both for the advice!

He is regularly taken outside and supervised and I've introduced a "pee word"!

Ooh I would love to see a picture of poppy! Can't wait to see what Monty is going to look like when he's a grown up boy!

Here he is after being out in the hailstorm
Today!!

X

Offline MacTavish Boys

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 01:31:52 PM »
oh my want a little beauty  :004: :004: he does not look too impressed with being wet :005:
Stephanie, George and Hamish xxx
George'n' Hamish's Mum

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 09:31:55 PM »
He is a sweetie  :luv:
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 04:56:14 PM »
love him  :luv:
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline PollySpaull

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 05:38:03 PM »
Thanks guys! He is such a huge part of my life already, love him to absolute pieces the little terror!!

Some more Monty pics for you! (Yes... Any excuse to show him off!)

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 06:44:01 PM »
thats the cutest "nortying" face ever  ;)
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----