Author Topic: what to do when bitch comes into season.  (Read 2598 times)

Offline rachelhodgkins

what to do when bitch comes into season.
« on: May 22, 2015, 10:15:32 PM »
My lottie is 12 months and not yet had a season. We took on recently a 5 month old male. We had booked in our female to be spayed But now she showing signs of imminent season (selling)  very advised against as don't like Doing if in season etc.  What do we do now will our boy be interested in her. Will wearing heat pants etc stop them mating. Any tips

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
Re: what to do when bitch comes into season.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 10:36:40 PM »
Heat pants won't stop them when they're determined.  We have coped with a dog in season and male who wasn't neutered for one season only before getting the female spayed.  I wouldn't want to do it again.  We had to keep them completely separated for three weeks.  One was shut in a bedroom while the other was out and then we swapped over.  We obviously couldn't let them in the garden together.  When we went out, we had to take the male with us every time because we didn't trust that they wouldn't get out of rooms if shut in.  Crates are no good because the deed can be done through the bars!  It was hard work.  Is there anyone that could look after your boy for you while Lottie is in season, or have you thought about getting the boy neutered? 

Offline rachelhodgkins

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 10:54:12 PM »
I was under the impression that they needed to be 6 months and cocking their leg am I completely wrong with this

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 11:50:15 PM »
My vet won't normally neuter before six months of age, and there is also a period after this when the male is capable of fathering pups.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 08:18:02 AM »
Most vets won't castrate before 6 months and many advise on waiting until later, a year or so, to give the dog time to mature physically and mentally. His growth plates will still be open for some months yet and castrating before they close can lead to plates closing at different rates, a dog with longer and lighter bones, and joint problems. Also, as already said, he will still be capable of siring puppies for some weeks after castration.

I've never had a dog and bitch together, but every time someone posts a question like yours on a forum there will be lots of people saying how difficult it is to prevent them from mating. It's not just that the dog will be desperate to get to the bitch, she will be desperate to get to him too. You won't be able to have them in the same room together, even under close supervision, and you may end up with two very unhappy, whiney and frustrated Cockers.

Friends of mine have Border Terriers and their male goes to stay with friends when their bitches come in season. They don't want to risk an accident and the male goes off his food and becomes extremely restless and whiney unless sent away.

If you were unlucky and they mated and Lottie became pregnant you'd then face another dilemma, because she's too young to have a litter, being physically and mentally immature herself.

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 06:34:32 PM »
I have always waited until mine where a year old before spaying or neutering, but thought it might be an option in your difficult circumstances.  Elaine's suggestion of seeing if someone else could look after one is good but as the 5-month-old is new to your household and the other dog will be the one in season with all that entails, it might not be an option for you this time.  I think you're just going to have to be really careful.  It is so easy to let your attention slip and accidentally let one dog out of a room without thinking - we very nearly had an accident on Christmas Day with ours while we were distracted getting dinner ready and hadn't realised Louis had got out of the bedroom.  Thankfully, I turned round just in time!  It was hard work but we managed and I'm sure you will too.

Offline rachelhodgkins

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 09:35:15 PM »
I think that in this circumstance we may just have to grin and bear it. As they are still new together now they are crated apart when we are not with them so will just have to extend this behaviour. Will buy locks to ensure that no naughty kids don't unlock cages.like you said it unfair to ask someone to take on a lively 5 month old or a bitch in season And really couldn't afford or it be fair to put him in kennels for 3 weweeks.nature has just ruined our plans of making work.definitely don't want any puppies as being Different breeds have no relivance to either breed and both being so young would take toll on both mother and puppies health. If there was an accident is there anything I can do.

Online MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2015, 10:13:13 PM »
I believe the vet can prescribe a " morning after the event" pill  ph34r
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2015, 01:06:44 PM »
Yes, as Min says, you can get "morning after" treatment - 2 injections usually.