Author Topic: Brand New to the Cocker World  (Read 2260 times)

Offline Bobcat1

Brand New to the Cocker World
« on: June 07, 2015, 12:41:35 AM »
I am picking up my first ever field bred cocker after July 4th. I can't wait. I used to trial a bit with English Pointers. Just ran and trained my own dogs. Never had more than 4 at a time. Lots of short repetition consisting of 10-15 minutes morning and evening. Made for some extremely polished dogs. They were National Bird Hunters. We walked while the gallery rode.

I'm too old for that game now (58) and want my cocker to retrieve dove and hunt pheasant and to be my buddy in the house. Bad thing is now my wife wants a red, tan or red roan female pup and those are like hen's teeth to find. I bought her a shotgun and she wants to dove hunt too after I took her last year. She said I can do that?  :lol2: Anyway I look forward to learning all I can on this forum. Thanks for letting me join

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
Re: Brand New to the Cocker World
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 02:10:02 AM »
Hi and welcome to COL  :D

I'm Jayne, owned by Pearl a four year old blue roan show type and Coral a 19 week old black/white working cocker spaniel.

Pearl is as trained as she can be and regularly goes beating with me in season, Coral will have her first season working later this year.

I'm guessing that you are not based in the UK (we don't shoot doves here  ;) but do shoot the pest known as pigeon!) my partner has Viszlas (FTCH) and finds my cocker spaniels totally different to work with and train......it will be a lot of fun! 

I've replied to your other thread but see your new addition comes home in July  :D

Offline Bobcat1

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 03:19:34 AM »
Thanks and you are right. I live in Texas in the United States.

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 11:04:27 AM »
Ooh! That's exciting - I look forward to lots of photos and stories of your new addition x

Offline barnfind

• Inactive
  • Barney
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 02:36:34 PM »
Hi Bobcat, and welcome to COL. Sure good to have another 'mature' chap on the forum and a hunter to boot!!

I see that Texas has Woodcock as well as Dove/Pigeon/Pheasant hunting so you have the right hound for that action if you are wanting a real challenge!! :lol2:

Looking forward to reading your experience with training the wife, I mean Cocker, and photos are obligatory!! ;)

EDIT: Just seen the photos on the Pup section, nice looking fellow!

Peter

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 07:01:58 PM »
hi ya,
we started beating as a couple, at around our fifties. then came Gemma (red wcs) to make it even more enjoyable. then this was followed by shot gun licences, 3 very nice english guns heirlooms  :shades: and endless supplies of game stew.
 just love it
get your wife involved, I go on 3 shoots and I am the only female. young ladies come for one shoot and never come back for another  :dunno:

your expected arrival is just stunning  :luv:
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 11:18:40 AM »
Welcome to the forum. I have a 6 year old red FTCh bitch and 3 of her offspring have been exported to trainers/triallers in the US over the last few years; two of them are red bitches and they have been competed successfully and are part of breeding programmes. They are east-coast based though, but if you can travel to Massachusetts or Virginia you might find a well-bred red puppy there!
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Bobcat1

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 01:04:20 AM »
Welcome to the forum. I have a 6 year old red FTCh bitch and 3 of her offspring have been exported to trainers/triallers in the US over the last few years; two of them are red bitches and they have been competed successfully and are part of breeding programmes. They are east-coast based though, but if you can travel to Massachusetts or Virginia you might find a well-bred red puppy there!
I would certainly be able to do that but what does a pup straight from you cost? You can send me a private message if you would rather. I wouldn't know the first thing about getting one here but I'm a quick study. We do have cocker trials and clubs here in Texas.

I used to field trial English pointers as a hobby and did quite well here in Texas and Nationally one year. Hauling for dog of the year was special that year and I won it with a heck of a dog. It was just NBHA but I worked my tail off for it and spent a small fortune getting it done. The dog was the cheapest part of the deal. He was given to by a close friend that wanted me to have him.

2 back surgeries, a knee surgery and a hernia surgery in the last 15 years will keep me from doing that again. 58 years old now and just looking for a good pup to train. I’ve found through the years getting a quality pup from quality people works out best for me. Never have been a bargain shopper.  You get what you pay for and what you put into training you get back.

I trained my dogs through repetition always giving out praise and affection for a well done job. Had a couple of guys I respected a lot tell me they could see all the polish my dogs had and the happiness they had in working for me. One was EJ Hall and the other Gordon Hazlewood. EJ judged several trials I ran and Gordon was always trying to buy my derbies to take on the Horseback Shooting Dog circuit. I never had more than 4 dogs so working each 10-15 minutes a day morning and evening was easy. EJ made several remarks about my happy dogs. He also called me a smart aleck when on a retrieve my dog returned with the bird and was wanting to give it to me and I said "No, up here". He promptly put his feet on my gut and handed me the bird to where I didn't have to bend over. That is when EJ called me a Smart Aleck. Just showing off with a little extra polish.  ;) (By the way, I won that trial :D)

Anyway I am rambling. Are you going to have any future litters?

Offline Bobcat1

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 01:15:03 AM »
hi ya,
we started beating as a couple, at around our fifties. then came Gemma (red wcs) to make it even more enjoyable. then this was followed by shot gun licences, 3 very nice english guns heirlooms  :shades: and endless supplies of game stew.
 just love it
get your wife involved, I go on 3 shoots and I am the only female. young ladies come for one shoot and never come back for another  :dunno:

your expected arrival is just stunning  :luv:
Thank you very much. We fish together and she helps clean fish. She cooks all the game I kill. She used to shoot a lot before our boys came. (4 of them) She will go every time. Her case of shells came in today and I bought her a new 20 Gauge. She is ready.

Offline Bobcat1

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2015, 01:16:26 AM »
Hi Bobcat, and welcome to COL. Sure good to have another 'mature' chap on the forum and a hunter to boot!!

I see that Texas has Woodcock as well as Dove/Pigeon/Pheasant hunting so you have the right hound for that action if you are wanting a real challenge!! :lol2:

Looking forward to reading your experience with training the wife, I mean Cocker, and photos are obligatory!! ;)

EDIT: Just seen the photos on the Pup section, nice looking fellow!

Peter
Thanks! I love me a challenge!

Offline Bobcat1

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2015, 01:20:50 AM »
Min,

I'm guessing beating is the same thing there as hunting is here, right? :huh: I'm Gonna have to learn the lingo.  :005:

Offline Bobcat1

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2015, 01:37:56 AM »
Here is my first ever trial winner:
Bad Cell phone pic:

A few of my trophies including the Dog of the year trophy: