Author Topic: Coat change after spaying  (Read 5015 times)

Offline JessAndLuna

Coat change after spaying
« on: May 07, 2016, 11:34:28 PM »
Hello!
I have a 19 month old working cocker bitch called Luna and after a lot of thought I had her spayed this January. I had a good idea what to expect after spaying but was not expecting the coat change! Shes solid black and had a silky and very shiny flat coat up until about a month and a half ago and now shes dull, fluffy and slowly going curly coated! Her leg feathers used to be fine but are now so thick i struggle to get a brush through them and her ears and top knot are so thick and curly! I brush her daily and trim her where needed every couple of weeks but shes never been clipped. From what i read some people resort to regular clipping following a coat change and others say it makes it worse, who should I be listening to? And is there any products that can help return the shine to her coat? To me she's beautiful anyway but i do worry shes going to be red hot come summer with all her new found fluff!
Any advice?
Jess

Offline rubybella

Re: Coat change after spaying
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 07:40:21 AM »
Yes, my chocolate and tan wcs coat changed within a few months of being spayed. She went from have no lovely sleek coat to a fuzzball! I haven't had her clipped all over but have hand stripped every 2-3 months. In between at home it does need regular grooming to stop knots and I do struggle to keep on top of it. I do have her clipped underneath though but not really short, particularly around the armpit areas as that seems to be an area prone to tangles.

Offline aljeana

• Mollie Magpie
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 01:10:31 PM »
I suggest you try using a coat King on her back & down her legs you won't return it to pre spay condition but you can achieve a natural look & more manageable.

I would try this before you go down the clipper route you may find the coat King will be enough if not then you can go down the clipping route
Aljeana & the Baddley Pack

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 03:09:48 PM »
Riley was neutered a year ago. No difference in his coat till about 6 months later, it wasnt too bad though.
Front legs became fluffy rather than smooth.
He got generally more hairy on his skirt , I kept it quite well with the coat king but a couple of weeks ago we got him a show clip which I love, kept his feathers, skirt but his body , front legs , undercarriage etc are clipped.
He looks so much neater.

He also has always got yumega oil and coconut oil each day.

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 01:46:17 PM »
Unfortunately neutering often does effect the cocker coat. Seems to be less in workers than shows though. Poss cause of the difference in amount of coat anyway.  I agree with above about trying a coat king. It does have a blade so can effect the coat, but not as much as clipping. It depends what you want really. A coat king will give you a happy meduim between handstrpping and clipping. Unfortunately proper handstrpping is unlikely to be possible on a neutered dog.
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 02:48:12 PM »
Millie met a little black furball of a dog a few weeks ago. It was impossible to tell what breed it was. They had a play and the owner asked if Millie was a wcs. I was shocked when she said that hers was too.

Millie is getting spayed soon and I would hate for her to loose her lovely shiny sleek coat.

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 09:36:50 PM »
My last cocker, Sophie, was a blue roan and her coat went very woolly after she was spayed.  I used to have her completely clipped off, which, to be fair, she loved.

Ellie is an orange roan and her coat barely changed after she was spayed, even though I clip her, although not as drastically as Sophie, her coat has remained fairly silky.

Offline Macette

• Lexi
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 04:58:36 PM »
Just got my blue cut for the summer, but kept her ears. A woman stopped me in the street to give me a tip about keeping her coat mat free. So I am trying it on her ears so far...coconut oil just a little smoothed on her ears before combing and amazing so easy to comb. She told me to start at one end and by the time you finish it should be ready to comb where you  started. I am delighted her ears have been so easy to comb, so I am just waiting for her hair to grow.....I already feed her a teaspoon of coconut oil everyday for her coat so now I will use it on the outside as well. She was spayed beginning of the year so expecting a coat change. But really hope I don't have to get her skinned again. So hoping coconut oil can keep matts away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk [emoji4]

Offline RoLu

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 11:07:50 AM »
I don't know if this will help, for anyone who is looking to neuter their dog.  But we decided to spay our working cocker before her first season.  There are no curls when her coat has got a little long and she didn't alter in personality either, which I think some owners fear if spaying is done too early.

Although a different breed we did exactly the same with a Springer we owned some years before, spaying before the first season, and also here the coat didn't change.

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 05:35:08 PM »
Teal had a fantastic shiny straight coat up until we had her spayed at 18 month she then changed into a hairy dull coated yeti. This thread prompted me to try a coat king so we ordered one from Amazon
I must admit I had my doubts but was over the moon when after an hour with the comb and  one carrier bag of Teal hair I have my shiny coated cocker back and she looks like she has lost 2 KGs
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2016, 02:44:27 PM »
Ollie is still entire :shades: I noticed since he has got older his fur has gone curly.  Must admit when groomed by groomer everywhere is flatter :005:

So think it is a maturity thing too - he is nine in November.....where do these years go!

Julie
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed