Author Topic: Food advice - again!  (Read 1042 times)

Offline Rhodri0311

Food advice - again!
« on: June 02, 2016, 05:40:58 PM »
Hello, I'm hoping for some more advice about Rhodri.

A little bit of background - a few months ago, Rhodri had very loose poops and was off his food, several visits to the vet, poop samples tested and it was decided that he had a sensitive tummy and had probably picked something up on a walk (he's always snuffling around and picking up things he shouldn't!).

We were told to put him on a restricted diet of recovery food and his kibble (Wainwrights) with a little bit of wet food (also Wainwrights). We followed this to the letter eventually moving back onto Wainwrigts only with the vets advice.

All has been great but for the last week or so, poops have been hit and miss and he's off his food again. Nothing has changed at all - he's still his normal self, full of energy!

I haven't spoken to the vet yet as I'm wondering if it could be a combination of the warmer weather and possibly something that he may have picked up again on a walk. The vet really does seem to champion Wainwrights food and I have to admit that I don't think it's the food as he's been great for several weeks.

Do dogs just go off food - I'm so confused, not sure whether to try a different food or not.

I was hoping to wean Rhodri onto two meals but as he's not eating much, we're still giving him a midday meal too. He's just coming up to seven months.

Sorry for waffling and if you're still with me, thanks so much for listening and any advice would be much appreciated x

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Food advice - again!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 07:37:42 PM »
The great thing about the forum is that we're all striving to do the best for our dogs and support each other in the process, so please don't worry about asking!! I'm afraid I can't offer much concrete advice as we were lucky that we've never had much of a problem with Humphrey and food, (he's been raw fed for the last 4 months ) but there on plenty on here that have, so I'm sure someone else will be able to suggest something. One thing  I would say though - every dog is different, so just because the vet favours one particular brand, it doesn't mean your dog will like it or tolerate it.
I think the warm humid weather can effect their appetites, as it does ours and they all have "off" days, Humphrey's forever foraging outside and occasionally he'll refuse his food if he's eaten something that's upset him. Hope you get Rhodi sorted soon - best of luck!

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 10:26:49 PM »
Yes, they do go off their food, usually in the hope that we give them something better, ie beef steak  :005:.
 We had a Border Terrier with a dicky belly. For her we settled on Simply dog food . But on saying that we were always swapping and changing because it would suit her for a time and then runny poohs or constipation would rear its head.
 Just a thought,Try him just on 2 meals.
 I wonder if he is not really hungry mid day ( hence not eating) or are 3 meals to much and it is for that reason his belly is upset because it is overloaded.
Please bear in mind, I know nothing  :005:
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 02:46:53 PM »
It is not always easy to know what is going on between those ears, but they do sometimes seem to get bored with a food and fancy a change.

We initially had Buster on Applaws, but he was unimpressed despite the quality (and cost!). More importantly he had intermittent loose stools which was a worry as he had suffered anal gland problems when we got him. For us (and this is no guarantee that it will work for anyone else) a mix of Canagan kibble and tinned meat did the trick and he really enjoys it.

Just one of the ways they have of keeping us on out toes.

Good luck!