Author Topic: 3 meals down to 2 meals?  (Read 1756 times)

Offline James+Carly

3 meals down to 2 meals?
« on: May 06, 2016, 10:43:10 PM »
Little Oscar is 6 and a half months now and is raw fed on Nutriment, came from the breeder on it, so we've just stuck to it, he loves it. In fact Oscar just loves eating.....anything, I only have to open the fridge/cupboard and he is right by my side - doesn't miss a trick.

My question is that we have been advised to go to 2 meals day, but I'm just not sure how to do it, as he knows he currently gets fed at 8am/1pm and 7pm - he is always in the kitchen prior to his meal times. If for whatever reason it's 15 mins late, he starts to whine, so I'm not sure how he will take it, or should I just let him whine?

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
Re: 3 meals down to 2 meals?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 11:04:56 PM »
I moved from three to two meals over a period of two weeks, gradually increasing the two meals at either end of the day and decreasing the middle one. I too thought Henry would miss his lunch, but it went very smoothly.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 09:05:02 AM »
Exactly, I did the same, any changes in feeding should be introduced gradually if possible. Dylan had no problems going down from three to two.

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline chrisp

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 10:48:29 AM »
Mollie has a snack at lunchtime as it's a long time between meals. 

Offline Sweepy

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 06:16:01 AM »
Sweep is 4 and still has 3 meals a day.  If he's in the tractor all day he can go without but starts eating poo so we take him a pack up.  The first and second are the biggest meals and tea is a token gesture with scraping off the plate, bit of gravy and raw veg.  I asked the vet about cutting him down and he said if he was happy with three leave him on it, so we did. 

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 11:25:11 AM »
Sweep is 4 and still has 3 meals a day.  If he's in the tractor all day he can go without but starts eating poo so we take him a pack up.  The first and second are the biggest meals and tea is a token gesture with scraping off the plate, bit of gravy and raw veg.  I asked the vet about cutting him down and he said if he was happy with three leave him on it, so we did.

Same here with Archie. I cut down the size of his evening meal in the hope of weaning him off it but it didn't work. His evening meal is tiny - just a mouthful really but he absolutely won't do without it so I gave up trying.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 12:16:45 PM »
Both Minstrel and Branston have 3 meals a day, with 1.5 keltie each at bedtime to stop the frothy 'sick' in the mornings.

Puppy Toby is still on 4 meals, his last meal at night, when the other boys get their biscuits.

Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline James+Carly

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 10:52:21 PM »
Yes I guess it's what just suits each puppy/dog, we still feed Oscar 3 meals for now, we may try again soon, but he is happy so I guess that's the main thing  :D

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2016, 01:24:57 PM »
Three meals a day here too, oh and in between there are snacks, carrot, tripe stick etc etc,
Suppose his three meals are small in comparison to some as riley is just the right weight for his build, size etc, he is almost 4.5 years old.