Author Topic: Ela doesn't weigh enough?  (Read 1386 times)

Offline Ninni

Ela doesn't weigh enough?
« on: May 09, 2016, 11:21:42 AM »
Ela is now 7 months and she weighs about 7.5 kilos! I checked online and it seems at her age she should weigh 10-12 - and around 8 at 4 months!!

I know it's all relative but this seems so extremely underweight! She is very happy and is gradually, slowly, putting on weight.

She is on Simpsons Salmon and potato, twice a day, 190 gr in total, and she wolfs it down. We are now meant to cut back to about 160gr a day.

She's always been small and her mum was a small cocker too but as I said, it seems so much smaller than what she "should" be.

The vet hasn't seemed worried about her size when we've seen them (in other matters).

Any thoughts?

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: Ela doesn't weigh enough?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 11:52:49 AM »
I wouldn't worry about her weight as long as she doesn't look skinny. Cockers, especially workers but some show types too, can vary a lot from the breed standard. If her mum was a small Cocker and she takes after her she'll probably be a lot lighter than typical breed standard weight all her life :D

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 01:02:43 PM »
It is easy to get obsessed with figures that are supposed to tell us what normal is. That, I think, applies as much to people as dogs. Really you just need to look at the dog. Does she have protruding ribs? Is her pelvis visible through her skin? If she just has a small frame but it is properly covered and she is starting to build up her muscles then I shouldn't worry too much. Perhaps you just have a pocket rocket?
I hope that helps.

Offline Ninni

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 01:36:34 PM »
Thank you! Yes, I have never been to concerned about these htings as, as you say, they vary so much. But I was just taken aback by how MUCH smaller she is.

You can't really see her ribs but you can definitely see her pelvis stick out. She sort of has a waist! I know a couple of other Cocker puppies, a couple younger and one who is born on the same day (not related) and they are like little barrels in comparison! Compact, round and chunky. She is narrow and slim....

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 01:52:10 PM »
They really do come in all shapes and sizes. Henry is tall but slim. His ribs are well covered but he has a definite waist. At 8.5 months he weighs about 12kg and its all muscle!

We regularly meet a three-year old cocker who is half Henry's size and I have to keep reminding myself she's not a puppy. Maybe your little lady will be the same.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 02:03:05 PM »
Bea was around 7 Killo at 6 months and she is a small Show Cocker, I remember how worried I was about her weight as a pup.

The information on the side of the food is only a guide, if your girl looks healthy then try not to worry,

If you search Dog weight guide on the internet you should get an idea, but puppy's are a little different, sometimes they just need to grow into there skin :D

Sharon.

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 02:43:32 PM »
Millie was 12kg when she was 8 months but to me she looks small and skinny. When I last took her to be weighed the vet guessed 10kg and was shocked when 12kg came up on the scales.

The strange thing is that we have had her since she was 11 weeks old and she still has the same collar. She is now 9 months old and I have had to adjust it once since she arrived, and that was months ago. With Murphy I was constantly adjusting or buying new collars because he grew so fast.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 04:46:18 PM »
My Gemma is 5 years old and is a perfectly healthy 9kg. So long as she is eating and drinking and not being sick I would not worry
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Georgina

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 02:34:24 PM »
Cosmo is a show type and  was a really small puppy when we first got him and I like you, was really worried about his weight. He was eating fine, the vet was happy with him but he was always the smallest at training classes etc.
He only weighed about 1.5kg at 9 -10 weeks old and continued to remain small. He is now 9 months old and probably only about 9 - 10kg but he is perfect shape. He was the runt of the litter and I think that is going to stick with him for life, but he is perfect to me!!  :luv:

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 03:30:00 PM »
There is nothing wrong with a little cocker. One of my local pet shops have a blue roan and she is the smallest cocker I have ever seen, but she is totally gorgeous  :luv:

Offline Mandy and Teddy

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 03:34:19 PM »
I think if you do a search you will come up with a very similar post I made about our boy Teddy. At two years old Teddy is just on the 10kilo mark. Honestly he's a perfect little boy just often mistaken for a girl as he is pretty and petite   :005:
I don't worry at all now and really he is perfect knee size which is good because I think he'd barge his way on no matter how big he had been and it's hard to see past his head at the best of times!

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 05:08:02 PM »
Hi

My boy is 8 now and was at the vets last week and weighed in at 11.1kilos, he has always been small, so it could just be his make up.

Once a vet said  isn't he a small cocker, but no  one else every has since.

He is all mine and that is what matters :luv:

Julie
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline PennyB

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2016, 09:22:53 PM »
My show types were all about 10kg as mature adults so I wouldn't worry really. I have known cockers even smaller than mine and they were relatively lighter too

At the age your dog is they will not necessarily get taller but often will fill out more and gain more muscle so I wouldn't worry at all - ditch the stats and enjoy your dog

All the food in the world won't change the genetics of your pup particularly if they were destined to be on the small side
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Bellamum

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2016, 09:01:24 PM »
Our Bella is 9 months and only 6.7kg. Vet says she is smalled sized but in good lean condition so isn't worried.  Everyone thinks she's about 4months! And she was a Singleton!