Author Topic: Won't stop biting!!!  (Read 3078 times)

Offline Mandymlc

Won't stop biting!!!
« on: May 16, 2016, 08:02:52 PM »
I need some advice on how to deal with my puppy's biting habit. She's 14 weeks old and is a gorgeous girl who's super quick to learn and very good in most ways - except she won't stop biting! It's not aggressive but it gets worse when she gets wound up and she's drawn blood on a few occasions. It's more than mouthing and is accompanied by jumping up and shouty barking if I ignore her. She doesn't rip things up (yet!) but she loves chewing - beds, toys, sticks, stones, everything.

She bites when I try to put her collar on and gets frustrated the longer it takes, rolling around on the floor and gnawing at my fingers. She bites at her lead and jumps up the back of my legs when we're walking. I totally understand that this is excitement and she may grow out of it, but it's making going for walks very difficult right now. The worst though is that because of her biting, I'm really only able to stroke and cuddle her properly when she's half asleep! Putting your hands down to stroke her results in her nipping at your hand or putting her mouth round your wrist. Going down to her level means she jumps up and tries to bite - she's caught me on the face a few times. Telling her off just makes her bark back, ignoring her makes her jump up more. She used to be quite clingy when she was little but now she's much more confident and it feels like she's challenging for the authority in the household.

I'm getting frustrated but I'm more concerned about her hurting other people.! She's so adorable and I want to do right by her - I just don't know what that is!  :012: Any advice is gratefully received!

🐶

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
Re: Won't stop biting!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 08:08:47 PM »
oh dear, you have a cockerdile (heard of Jekyll and Hide) Similar thing . Afraid it is part of her growing up and learning. Shortly you will be bombarded with replies of COLers going through the same thing . Main remedies are wellies, steel gloves and plenty of vino  ;)
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline tenaille

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 08:28:53 PM »
oh dear, and its not just a cocker thing - my Fieldie Martha is much the same at 13 weeks  ph34r
I keep telling myself it'll pass soon  :luv:

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 08:33:32 PM »
For cuddles, I taught Henry he always had to have a toy in his mouth. Even to this day, he scrambles off for a toy when he wants to say hello. This means you can cuddle without the teeth getting involved.

At 14 weeks your little one is at a perfect age to start teaching 'go to your mat'. I found an excellent video on YouTube, I'll have a look for the link. When Henry would attach himself to my ankles / apron / trousers while I was cooking in the evening, this command was a godsend. It gave him something to focus on and calmed him down.

On walks, have you tried dangling a toy or treat just in front of you on the side you want her to walk on? Something to get her focus might help.

Yes, she WILL grow out of this, and probably quite soon, but there are things you can do in the meantime. Good luck!
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline Mandymlc

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 08:56:33 PM »
I'm glad you all feel it's an age thing and she'll grow out of it - I just want to make sure I'm reacting in the right way and at least attempting to reduce it if I can't stop it completely! She's so good in every other way - only ever had a few wee's in the house, asks to go out when she needs to go, sleeps through the night - she's very busy and is happy to amuse herself (albeit ripping twigs off my lavender bush!) and is such a happy puppy - she does have her crazy five minutes though where I wonder if she's not half Tasmanian devil! Her favourite thing right now is to flip her dog bed over and run around underneath it crashing into legs and furniture!  :005:
🐶

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 09:24:32 PM »
Here's the video. She also has a good one on training puppies not to grab at your clothes. Doesn't entirely stop it, but helps!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJGIpd3ptgs&list=PL39rA__veYgR4EvJoPQhwRlxZmW5H3IEm&index=25

Offline daw

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 10:59:43 PM »
Some good advice but the best thing I've found is just to do a really high pitched squeak of pain when nipped. Puppies learn with their mouths and don't know they are hurting unless you react the way another puppy would if bitten. It's part of developing the bite inhibit mechanism. And yes it does get better but you need her to know that she can hurt you.     

Offline Geordietyke

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 07:22:45 AM »
Monty behaves in exactly the same way (he's 12 weeks), perfectly normal (albeit painful at times!) puppy behaviour.  Regarding the collar, I get him to sit quietly and say "calm" (his cue word for curbing exuberant behaviour), it does take a few seconds for him to be calm enough for me to pop collar on but it's getting quicker each time!  I use high pitched squeak noise when he bites too hard, however depending on his mood, this can sometimes make him more excited so I just stop playing with him and walk away.  (I can't wait for this "lovely" part of puppyhood to be over  >:D :lol2:
Both taken away from us far too soon. x  RIP Angels Odie & Archie, causing mayhem at the Rainbow, no doubt!

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 08:02:03 AM »
The squeal didn't seem to work for us either, so I walked away. When I couldn't (say if we were in the kitchen and I was cooking) that's when I'd get him to 'go to his mat'.

I'd forgotten about the collar thing! Henry would nip and fall to the floor, wriggling on his back. Used to drive me NUTS. We found a biscuit treat that took him just long enough to eat to get the collar on, if we were quick. At some point he just stopped doing it. This thread has reminded me how far we've come since those early puppy days. Everything passes.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2016, 08:36:31 AM »
Yes, I think that too - sometimes you have to look at what they've learned rather than what they haven't (yet! ;))

Offline Mandymlc

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2016, 02:10:08 PM »
Londongirl that's exactly what Effie does - she tries to bite the collar and my hands then does crocodile (cockerdile??) rolls on the floor. I've been asking her to sit beforehand but inevitably it ends up taking ages to get her collar on, by which point she's thoroughly overexcited and I've given up trying to make her sit. Will definitely try the treat beforehand as a distraction next time!

I definitely agree bizzylizzy, she has learned so much that I sort of take that for granted and only think about the current naughty behaviour - having read some of the posts on COL I can see that although not an angel, she's not a complete devil either!  >:D
🐶

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2016, 05:30:33 PM »
Ah! For the miracle that is squeezy cheese in a tube...... Dab a bit on the floor just before <insert>

Where <insert> equals put collar on, groom, body/feet check, ears check etc  :lol:

Its just 12 months since Coral went through this phase.  I found it very much easier with her but that was mainly due to her focus and teeth being on Pearl  :005: not me......

Offline Markr64

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2016, 10:26:34 AM »
Ah! I remember I joined this forum for exactly that problem and now we have the most wonderful natured dog who has just turned a year old. Keep at it the end result is worth it.

Offline Poi

• No Place To Be
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2016, 01:37:00 PM »
This stage is the worst and as someone said to me at the time: It seems like the worst thing in the world at the time and feels like it's never going to end but it will.

Everything you said is exactly what Lola used to do too but it does pass, you might just have to bleed a little more first   ;)

Offline chien

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2016, 12:19:50 AM »
I'm so glad to read this, it's unbelievable as it's so like what i'm experiencing it's almost like i wrote it myself!

I'm glad people are saying she'll grow out of it as apart from the 5 minutes of craziness she is so adorable and kind.

Also when driving with her she is so calm that sometimes i wish i could always be in the car with her! Never any crazy nipping when she's in the car (im glad!!) I'll let you know when she out grows this (soon i hope)