Author Topic: Walking a cocker spaniel  (Read 1103 times)

Offline James+Carly

Walking a cocker spaniel
« on: May 25, 2016, 06:59:16 PM »
We have a 7 months old cocker spaniel (male, not neutered yet, plan to).

His heal work isn't very good, no matter how much we practise, his nose takes over. Especially if we walk along the pavement, in the woods near us and the park its not as bad as he is walked on a long line and seems to behave more. Thing is, he literally picks up and eats everything he finds, is there a way of stopping this, as he has made him self very ill recently due to picking up things along the walk. As much as we watch him, its so hard to catch him every single time.

Someone mention to me about a 'Halti' that goes over puppies face, does this actually prevent from eating stuff? As what i have read so far, does seem to suggest?

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
Re: Walking a cocker spaniel
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 07:02:05 PM »
Personally I would use a basket type muzzle, although never had to use one, but I have seen them, and also a netting type one.  If I had a dog that ate anything going, I would certainly consider it though.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 07:37:00 PM »
I use a muzzle on Branston, because he is another that if I am not standing next to him will eat anything he finds, and things that some inconsiderate people  leave about is a constant worry. I do take it off when we are having a game with his ball launcher, but even then have to be careful he does not find something enroute back to me.

I realise that a muzzle is not for everyone, but if the alternative is never letting Branston off lead for fear of the consequences, I have chosen the (imo) safer option. We walk in mainly the same area every day, and a quick explanation to new folk we meet soon realise he means no harm.

Here is the one I got: He started with a size 5 but I had to get the larger one as it was squashing the skin round his jaws making him uncomfortable

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005UCPPWG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline lescef

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 08:53:17 PM »
Maddie is much the same. Even walking on the  lead, she will pull like mad to get to what she thinks is food. You need to work on a good 'leave' command and work on his impulse control (google It's yer choice) and that will help when he's on lead. I do think Maddie has got better, I will say 'leave' as I think she spots something and I get this resigned 'oh, ok, she's not going to let me get it attitude'
I think it becomes learned behaviour and takes some undoing.

Off lead is more difficult.  I  muzzle trained Maddie as we were going on a beach holiday and she will eat anything. However, the beaches in Scotland were so clean I didn't need to use it. It is a useful to have conditioned them to a muzzle for vets visits, grooming and in Maddie's case being fear aggressive.
I measured her as a size three but ended up with a one!  PAT assistant just looked at her and said size one when I returned it.
It should be a muzzle they can pant and take treats through. And you'll need to play muzzle games to condition him.
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble