Author Topic: Newbie cocker owner  (Read 1104 times)

Offline Loony Lola

Newbie cocker owner
« on: May 27, 2016, 08:54:57 PM »
Hi I am the proud mummy to Lola who is 17 weeks old now.

I came across this forum by accident about a month ago and have found all the advice invaluable in surviving the first few weeks. Having previously had Labrador/Retrievers when we lost our last one only aged 6 years young  :'(   I decided to go for a totally different experience and get a show cocker and boy is she a "different " experience   :005:

We call Lola the Pocket Rocket  and I love her to bits already she is so affectionate and I am amazed how quickly I have become her world and as I  read on here she lives up to the name the Velcro dog !!! I work  full time from home and she is with me 24/7 ...wherever I go she comes too... my son's primary school want her to be their mascot  :D

Anyway I  did want to ask some advice on how to keep Lola still while I attempt to groom her ... are there any puppy chews/treats that last longer than 10 seconds that might give me that extra bit of time before the battle starts !!!

Thanks

Vickie

Offline ejp

• Donator
Re: Newbie cocker owner
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 09:15:01 PM »
Primula cheese in a tube. If you have a smooth surface in front of where you groom, smear a bit on and she will happily lick it off.  :shades:  Very cheap too,  ;)

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 09:37:17 PM »
Hmm, cheese  never fails.
Hello to you and Lola.  I too have a pocket rocket in Gemma AKA the  ginger ninja
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 10:11:46 PM »
My only problem with the cheese / peanut butter option is that Henry gets it all over his ears. I gave up trying to groom him when he was little. Now it's a quick brush over with the slicker brush that he endures every few days, a light going over with the Coat King every other week and six-weekly trips to the groomers!

Welcome to the forum!
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline EmmaRose

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 11:37:35 PM »
Hi and Welcome to COL!

The wonders of squeezy cheese - not sure what I'd do without it for grooming (especially useful for my two when trimming paws).

I grew up with labs (we still have 2) and now have my 2 show cockers and totally agree they are completely different  :005:
Emma, Pippa & Rory x

Offline Theo961

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 06:45:36 AM »
Hi and welcome to you and loony lola.  :D More pics of her are  always welcome.  :D
I am new to Cockers too after owning Clumbers and Basset Hounds most of my life...   and boy was I in for a shock with Reese! Lol
I have been quite lucky with his grooming, I had so many problems with my last clumber all through his life with grooming,  I knew I had to get to grips early on with Reese. I started from day one, I stand him on a blanket on a low table  ( don't have a grooming table) Started with squeeze cheese and treats and just slowly built up the time and actions. He will now stand nicely while i groom him for just a treat and a big cuddle and play after. I have also taken him to the groomers from week one,  we started weekly and now every couple of weeks about to go 6 weekly. We starting off with her standing him on the table and her cuddling him to building up to bath and trim (she didn't charge anything to start with and then just small amounts when introducing trimming feet etc.) I am happy and confident with grooming, ear clean and teeth, but know I am nervous when using scissors, i don't want transfer this to him so would rather he goes to a groomer. Great thing with puppy fur is you get the time to build up slowly, you will be fine with lots of treats and patience lol.

Offline daw

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2016, 10:34:39 AM »
Glad you've found cockers...there's nothing like 'em. And very character building for the owner! You have to learn you're not the most important thing in the world, what you want never matters that much-  and that anarchy can be so-o good.  :blink:

Offline Loony Lola

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2016, 11:35:24 AM »
Thank you for all your replies and for  being made to feel so welcome.

I gave sent OH out this morning for the squeezy cheese so will see what happens   :D

Lola is currently chasing butterflies and flies in the garden ..... who needs a ball thrower when nature provides endless targets to chase !!!!  :005:

Offline Markr64

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2016, 12:56:48 PM »
Hello and welcome, you will find this place a great source of information and a place where you will visit more and more as time goes by.

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2016, 08:38:11 PM »
Yes squeezy cheese is a must!

Also I used to use a non slip bathmat you dont want a wriggly cocker slipping and nervous next time.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2016, 06:41:35 AM »
UK is cocker paradise - can't get squeezy cheese here!  >:D  ;)
Welcome on board, best place any new Cocker Mum and Dad to hang out - its helped my keep my sanity for the last 10 months! (My little vandle, Humphrey, will be one on Tuesday!).
Looking forward to lots of pictures and news of Lola!