Author Topic: Dog owner of many years but new to cockers  (Read 1261 times)

Offline RoLu

Dog owner of many years but new to cockers
« on: May 27, 2016, 09:41:54 PM »
My two cockers are th fourth and fifth dogs we have had over the years. They are such a lovely intelligent breed.  Both girls, Rosie who we have looked after since a pup and is now 19 months. Lu who is we think around three and suffered some neglect until we took over.

Having not used the boards for long,  I am already gathering some really good information and bowled over by how friendly and supportive everyone is thank you.

Offline daw

Re: Dog owner of many years but new to cockers
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 10:45:07 PM »
It's good to hear you're having a really positive experience owning cockers- and that you also have a rescue, a worthwhile thing in itself... For me cockers are the best and most wonderful dogs on the face of the planet. Long may you enjoy yours! :blink:

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 09:52:45 AM »
It's good to hear you're having a really positive experience owning cockers- and that you also have a rescue, a worthwhile thing in itself... For me cockers are the best and most wonderful dogs on the face of the planet. Long may you enjoy yours! :blink:

Ditto  ;)
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Markr64

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 10:16:10 AM »
You will be surprised at how helpful this site is and it has the best interest of the dogs always.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 10:27:47 AM »
I've adored all my dogs but am totally besotted with Humphrey, the little Cocker wriggle and permanent positive attitude bring so much joy and good humour. They do have their quirks (sock stealing being the most common apparantly) and their "Velcro" 'ness can be a litttle demanding at time (when they're conked out on your feet while you're trying to cook dinner!) but they're easy to forgive anything! COL is the best place to be for any new owner, been a great help to me, Welcome back on board, look forward to hearing more....

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 06:20:18 PM »
I've adored all my dogs but am totally besotted with Humphrey, the little Cocker wriggle and permanent positive attitude bring so much joy and good humour. They do have their quirks (sock stealing being the most common apparantly) and their "Velcro" 'ness can be a litttle demanding at time (when they're conked out on your feet while you're trying to cook dinner!) but they're easy to forgive anything! COL is the best place to be for any new owner, been a great help to me, Welcome back on board, look forward to hearing more....

I'm finding this thread really interesting as Henry is my first pooch so I have nothing to compare him with. There have been plenty of times when I've questioned our wisdom in going for a Cocker, and wished we'd got a more placid breed of dog. But then I wouldn't be greeted with the best butt waggle in the world every time I go out of his sight for more than five minutes - it never, ever fails to make me smile, and reading these comments makes me realise that a lot of the things I love about Henry are down to his being a Cocker, as well as the things that drive me mad.

So, all you previous owners of other dogs, tell me the best things you get from a Cocker that you wouldn't get from another dog, to see me through these 'interesting' teenage months.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 07:27:47 PM »
we have had and loved equally 3 staffies and 1 border terrier and Gemma cocker spaniel. I assume they have all loved me, but it has been Gemma who needs the most physical contact from her humans. Her life revolves around us and her collection of comforters  toys. At the moment staffy Poppy  and Gemma are on " their sofas". If I hold my arms wide open for a hug only Gemma will come and accept the hug and hug me back in the only way  a cocker spaniel knows -- by squeezing her face as close to mine as possible  :luv:
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline daw

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2016, 08:58:32 PM »
It's unscientific maybe but I genuinely believe and have observed a special type of cocker empathy ; they can sense your mood, offer solidarity in bad times and throw themselves into sharing your joys. Like other people on here I've had other dogs, corgis, labs and various cross breeds and, yup loved them all and been loved back but not in quite the same way- or so full-on!  :lol: