Author Topic: Anyone with a spaniel with thyroid problems?  (Read 482 times)

Offline rubyduby

Anyone with a spaniel with thyroid problems?
« on: June 22, 2016, 06:13:58 PM »
Just wondered if anyone out there has a dog with thyroid issues, just curious to know symptoms treatments etc.

Offline aljeana

• Mollie Magpie
Re: Anyone with a spaniel with thyroid problems?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 06:35:43 PM »
My Jodie has a under active thyroid it came to light when I notice she was not as lively as normal got fatigue quite easily when out walking.

Other things that we noticed was her coat condition was very poor fluffy like cotton wool where as it had been reasonably smooth.

When I took her to the vet for an ongoing ear flap infection where the bottom of her ears wher crusty & she had lost the hair from a lot of the bottom of her ear flap I thought mange mite but my vet looked at it & said poor blood flow to the ears & can be due to low thyroid added in with coat condition & her being quite fatigue he decided to do a blood test.

Blood test confirmed low thyroid so she has medication each day ears have cleared up energy levels back to normal & her coat has improved.

Hope that helps
Aljeana & the Baddley Pack

Offline lescef

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 08:34:32 PM »
An American Doctor -Jean Dodds is an expert in this field. I think to get a full thyroid panel tested, it has to be sent to America. This is information I've read about so can't help you any further.
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 05:53:06 PM »
Ruby had a Thyroid panel blood test today at our local vet, so awaiting results, she is quite playful but seems reluctant to walk , once she gets going (on grass) she is okay but will stand and stare till coaxed forward, she has waxed ears and dry eye. But her coat is fine no sign of loss or loss of condition.