Author Topic: Alabama Rot....please be aware.  (Read 496 times)

Offline Murphys Law

Alabama Rot....please be aware.
« on: June 21, 2016, 04:27:37 PM »
I saw this news story today and thought I would share it to raise awareness of this terrible disease.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3652009/Dog-owners-warned-wash-pets-going-walk-avoid-Alabama-Rot-disease-killed-dozens-animals.html

Offline lescef

Re: Alabama Rot....please be aware.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 06:53:05 PM »
My old dog training school said there had been a case in a dog walked at Walkers Park in Prenton. Getting close to home.
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 10:18:21 PM »
My old dog training school said there had been a case in a dog walked at Walkers Park in Prenton. Getting close to home.

That is far too close to home.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 12:02:27 PM »
Raising awareness is good, but we also need to keep Alabama Rot in perspective, which can be difficult when it pops up under a newspaper headline :D.

It's a very rare disease. 78 confirmed cases in almost 4 years in a dog population of over 8 million makes it rarer than almost any other canine illness you can think of. Somebody in a dog group did a calculation a few days ago based on the UK dog population and assuming that most of them were walked once a day. I didn't follow the math, but it worked out that a person has a greater chance of winning the jackpot on the National Lottery than their dog has of contracting Alabama Rot on a daily walk.

There's lots of information out there about the disease, but not all of it is accurate. This is a good resource http://alabamarot.co.uk/

I'm in the New Forest and have continued to walk my dogs there every day since the disease was first identified here in 2012. I had a few qualms when there was a suspected case in a Labrador that's mainly walked on Canada Common, which is my usual haunt, a couple of months ago, but on balance I decided to continue as normal. I noticed a few of the regular walkers that I see were missing for a few weeks afterwards, but they all seem to have returned now. The Lab developed some suspicious lesions and her kidney readings were a bit suspicious when tested, but she didn't go into kidney failure and after a few days her kidney readings were normal and she recovered.