Author Topic: Teeth cleaner suggestions  (Read 882 times)

Offline rubyduby

Teeth cleaner suggestions
« on: June 22, 2016, 06:15:01 PM »
My two girls have dirty teeth, have tried the gel but not very successfully as neither will keep still and hate you touching their mouths, anyone suggest anything other than a trip to the vet

Offline daw

Re: Teeth cleaner suggestions
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 07:39:22 PM »
Raw chicken wings! One a day.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 07:48:32 PM »
Raw chicken wings! One a day.

is this just the tip or the whole wing
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline lescef

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 08:31:19 PM »
I give my two a whole chicken wing twice a week,. Good for emptying the anal glands too.
The sea jerky shapes made by Fish4dogs are supposed to clean the teeth.
Maddie has very brown teeth, but the vet said as long as her gums are healthy then not to worry too much.
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 08:57:47 PM »
My vet said that some dogs are more prone to bad teeth regardless of diet, much the same as humans are.  Jinley is raw fed and used to have a chicken wing every day, but still ended up having to have her teeth cleaned when she was spayed.

Offline daw

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 10:42:10 PM »
Definitely give the whole wing - it's the prolonged chewing that's meant to do the biz! (Horrible to see and listen to if you're a veggie  :o)

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 01:45:18 PM »
I gave Henry a chicken wing today. He did not care for it. Guess I won't be moving to raw feeding any time soon...
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline EmmaRose

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2016, 02:20:00 PM »
I gave Henry a chicken wing today. He did not care for it. Guess I won't be moving to raw feeding any time soon...

Rory ignored the first one I gave him and just pushed it around the patio... but now he does enjoy them.  Pippa and the labs practically inhale theirs though! :005:

I only give them one or two a week but they also have a fish skin chew most days. 
Emma, Pippa & Rory x

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2016, 02:24:04 PM »
If they are swallowed, will they cause harm. Just want to know whether to hold on to one end while Gemma is chomping
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2016, 02:28:49 PM »

Rory ignored the first one I gave him and just pushed it around the patio... but now he does enjoy them.  Pippa and the labs practically inhale theirs though! :005:

I only give them one or two a week but they also have a fish skin chew most days.

Yes, it's lying on the grass. Maybe if I put it on a people plate just within reach on the table he'd be more interested...

Henry loves Lily's Kitchen fish skin chews so I bought a bag of sprats for training, but he'd much rather have a piece of cheese. Very contrary, my Henry.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2016, 03:43:49 PM »
If they are swallowed, will they cause harm. Just want to know whether to hold on to one end while Gemma is chomping

William tends to bolt them down, I think it's because he wasn't raw fed until he was 5 so didn't really know what to do. I hold the ends of chicken wings when he has them to make sure he has at least 3 good bites and does some crunching up too. Luckily for me he's careful of my hands! Occasionally he's gulped a chicken wing down whole. Sometimes he's regurgitated it a while later and then eaten it again, crunching it up properly, but it's never caused him any real problems.

Louis started on chicken wings when he was weaned, and was given one pretty much every day then. Must have taken him ages to eat when at that age, but it taught him to eat bones carefully. I think it's more difficult introducing adult dogs to them.

Offline lescef

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 05:34:29 PM »
I was going to say maybe Henry didn't know what to do with it. We tend to think it's instinctive but maybe not!
When I gave mine a whole egg, they knocked it about for a bit,  unsure what to do.
One of our previous dogs also cornered a pigeon but then didn't know what to do with it -fortunately!

Raw wings - Maddie gets to eat hers by herself.  She's very ladylike and crunches away through all of it. Bramble is the gobbler. She bolts everything down. Wings did go down whole then came back up frequently,  so now I hold them. I do actually put them horizontally across her mouth so she has to chew otherwise they'd still not be chewed much. (Not sure if this is the right approach though)
Do be aware of fingers though. OH ended up with trip to A&E after not paying attention!
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble