Author Topic: Worrying USA import request  (Read 3306 times)

Offline Sumava Cockers

Worrying USA import request
« on: February 21, 2017, 09:17:26 AM »
We don't know if this is the right place to post this?

Anyway,  our Barnaby's breeder contacted us yesterday to translate a purchase request that she had received from USA.

It was a very strange e-mail, stating that the person supposedly in USA had seen "it" (meaning WCS bitch) on the breeder's advertising
and subject to converting the price to an agreeable USD value, would take "it"  That this person would also make arrangements to collect "it" and take care of transporting "it" back to USA.

To us it rand alarm bells:  Would a reputable USA importer not want to establish Pedigree?  Would they not want to ensure all inoculations were in order and certified?  The prospective purchaser's command of English was that of a native English speaker so we found it curious that he only referred to the WCS girl as "it"......we would instinctively use she,  not "it".  Maybe we're being pedantic?.  To cap it all the proposed purchaser's e-mail address was a john9876@gmail.com type address.

We advised the breeder to decline to sell as either the prospective purchaser was an unfeeling and uncaring puppy farm brute,   or possibly a financial scammer who's real interest was getting back account details out of the breeder.

Have any of the breeders on here come across this sort of buyer behaviour before,  and can you throw any light on what's going on here?

Sarka, Jon and Barnaby B

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
Re: Worrying USA import request
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 10:25:52 AM »
Well have no idea if this is the type of way breeders goes about it......but would certainly think not, the way it refers to the pup as it and the fact it has no info of vacs and usual questions on health etc makes me feel as you to stay clear.  I would feel if you were looking at importing it is to establish a reputable line, and questions on breeding history etc would also be up there and past heritage working history(I have not much background on WCS )

Another thing what would have the writer expected someone at the other end who speaks perfect English to translate, doubtful.  How the breeder takes your warning.

Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 10:58:59 AM »
I wouldn't go near it with a barge pole, so they say!!
Sounds very dubious to me, - having run a small businnes for quite a few years, we used to receive all sorts of dubious things like this. Although I know people do do it, I wouldn't be happy about subjecting a small puppy to a journey to the USA anyway......

Offline sodpot2000

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 01:28:54 PM »
It has got to the point where I get more dodgy emails than genuine ones. If in any doubt delete and do not reply. Obviously I have not seen the email but there are a lot of phishing emails that purport to be from people wanting to buy something they have seen on the website. Easy for me to spot because, as a solicitor, I have no stock to sell!

Offline Sumava Cockers

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2017, 03:18:15 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Good point abut it possibly being a phishing bot,  but I think not.  The communication seemed a little too accurate for it to be automated.

Our boy's breeder immediately took our advice and in fact deleted all communications from this person off her own bat.  I think the decision was made for her when I explained that in proper English its unusual to refer to a living dog as it in a situation like this.
For a lady who takes an almost daily interest in the wellbeing of the pups she's sold,  that was enough.

If there's further communication,  I'll share it here as it could be a useful lesson to us all.

ATB
Sarka, Jon and Barnaby B

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2017, 05:59:02 PM »
When talking about a living breathing being I would never use It,

I would if I was buying something that I would have no emotional attachment to i.e, a Sofa, Car, Door Matt !!!

Mind you I have named all my Cars, I'm currently driving about in "The Pup Mobile" ( I changed cars when I get Bea )  :005:

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2017, 08:50:52 AM »
I get lots of similar requests - they all get binned, most are scams of some kind I suspect. Genuine export enquiries will take the time to introduce themselves properly & don't use the word "it" even if not a native English speaker - personally we don't consider export requests unless we know and have met the person wanting one of our puppies, it is safer that way!
Jane

Offline Sumava Cockers

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2017, 11:29:57 AM »
Thanks Jane,

Your stance on this is professionally and ethically correct.  Thanks for sharing with us,  it makes us feel happier with te advice we gave.

All the best

Sarka, Jon and Barnaby B