Author Topic: CaniX help. Traing a reluctant dog.  (Read 1510 times)

Offline karen488

CaniX help. Traing a reluctant dog.
« on: February 02, 2013, 08:16:06 AM »
I've worked very hard to train the dogs over the past few months. Bingley pulls into his harness, not massively but enough. Darcey was running ahead slightly behind Bingley and pulling at times. However this weeks running has not gone well. Darcey is point blank refusing to run in the wet and mud, even when she's on dry track she's not doing it. She ran brillianlty in the snow and was really motivated. I know I could give up but I know that she can do it, I need to run for me and I haven't got time to do a morning run and walk  >:( The dog trainer has suggested not giving breakfast until after the run and to lose a bit of coat to make the harness more comfy. I don't personally think its the harness but am going to try this. Anyone got any advice? I know there aren't many Canix crossers on the forum but has anyone had experience of training a reluctant dog to do anything?

Offline Ruby Tuesday

• My little Jem
Re: CaniX help. Traing a reluctant dog.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 08:44:53 AM »
Our first dog was a collie cross and she only liked running off the lead on her own terms. We never got to the point where she enjoyed running on the lead with us so to be fair to her, we gave up and didn't take her running with us.

Luckily Ruby and Jem both run beautifully with us. I'm not really sure if or how you can change things, sorry.
Julie, Ruby and Jem. And never forgetting our first precious dog, Cassie x

Offline karen488

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 10:36:29 AM »
Thanks. Know there may come a point where I give up, but the main frustration is that she can sometimes  :huh: We heap praise on her when she does. :-\

Offline Ruby Tuesday

• My little Jem
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2013, 10:59:58 AM »
Would it help for someone to run slightly ahead to start with, to encourage her?

Our Cassie just preferred stopping and sniffing to running, so it was hopeless  :005:
Julie, Ruby and Jem. And never forgetting our first precious dog, Cassie x

Offline redlottie

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 02:04:07 PM »
Otto has just been through this phase and we think we have established he doesn't like running when we run with both dogs.

Otto used to love running when it was just him but since me or OH have taken him and albie together he is always more reluctant.  I think it's partly because otto is a good runner and albie messes about so ott ends up being pulled all over the place.  Now as soon as he realises albie isn't going he is more than happy to go but very reluctant to have his harness on if he knows albie is going as well.

Offline Bostonbarnaby

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 03:37:45 PM »
I have a very keen running dog who we cannot stop!  However we started her zest for running by first running round the fields with no harness just so that she found it fun.  We then put on a gentle harness and lead before introducing the canix equip.  Sorry I cannot be more help.  She is our third cocker and the first one who has loved running.  The first one sniffed his way and the second one could not be bothered!