Author Topic: Some successes and one big fail  (Read 2433 times)

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
Some successes and one big fail
« on: July 14, 2013, 04:24:26 PM »
Our agility club had a fun dog show/bbq today.  I was really proud of Pippa. She has only been doing agility a couple of months and has just missed two weeks due to her season.  In the fun competition today she came third.  We are going to start entering her for some competitions coming up in September.   :D

At the other end of the scale, Barney came 13th, otherwise known as last  :005:.  We had to retire from the ring after he had disappeared three times from the course - once to wee, once for a drink and once to explore a rabbit warren  ph34r

He redeemed himself a little though, picking up first place cups for most handsome dog and best trick (his slow lingering death special).

I am going to give up agility with Barney and concentrate on Pippa which will work out really well as we took my nephew with us today and he loved it and is now interested in having a go at junior handling, so I am hoping to take Pippa one night a week on my own and then take her a second night (the night Barney has been going) with my nephew for him to handle her.

I don't think Barney will be sad to give up.  I get the feeling he will prefer his long walks alone with OH on the nights we're out training  ;)

Offline Helly D

Re: Some successes and one big fail
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 04:54:42 PM »
I had the same problem with my first cocker Sam. We did puppy classes and then joined the obedience team . Sam initially was a complete star and did really well. However when he was about two years old he suddenly started to lose interest and like Barney left the ring a few times so we stopped. It was a shame as it was such good fun and we made some lovely doggy people friends but his heart was no longer in it. They are funny and certainly take a dislike to things. Looks like lots of lovely walks are on the cards for your lovely boy.

Offline chrisp

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 04:59:38 PM »

At the other end of the scale, Barney came 13th, otherwise known as last  :005:.  We had to retire from the ring after he had disappeared three times from the course - once to wee, once for a drink and once to explore a rabbit warren  ph34r

That did make me laugh - that would be my Mollie!  :005:

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 05:08:09 PM »
I had a similar experience to Helly d with my girl, Emily. We got up to novice in competitive obedience and then she got bored!  So we stopped and did some agility and tracking (which she loved).  It's best to listen to what they're telling us regarding what they enjoy or not. I've seen many dogs doing obedience and agility, obviously not enjoying it and I feel quite sorry for them.  Am sure Barney will have a great time on walks with your OH, and you won't have to feel guilty about not taking him to agility. Well done to you and Pippa, but be warned agility is addictive!
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 05:11:54 PM »
Awww, poor Barney. Well done Pippa though.
I think we need to see a video of the slow lingering death special.  :005:

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 08:48:52 PM »

I will see if his lordship will oblige with a performance tomorrow.

Offline Neon

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 08:51:12 PM »

I will see if his lordship will oblige with a performance tomorrow.

I'd love to see that too.   ;). Well done Pippa.   :clapping:

(RIP Charlie and Jarvis - Love You Both Forever)  :luv: :luv: