Author Topic: newbie owner needing advice on lead training  (Read 1194 times)

Offline hilhames

newbie owner needing advice on lead training
« on: August 28, 2013, 11:00:32 PM »
Thought that this w/e I might put the lead on Chloe for first time, just in garden of course, she will only be nine weeks. Have read that you let them drag it around first - that means it will be well chewed.
Its just a puppy lead I have.  Do I try to let her do what she wants on the lead or do I control it so she is forced to stay at my side?  Or should I just wait until I go training class - first night will be first time that Chloe is actually allowed out after vaccination, so its two and a bit weeks away. Thanks

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
Re: newbie owner needing advice on lead training
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 06:57:26 PM »
I would just try and see what happens. Is she used to her collar yet? If not, get her used to that first before introducing the lead. Just pop it on for a few minutes and distract her with a toy or a treat. If she starts chewing the lead, again use distractions and praise her wildly when she lets it go. Do very short sessions at a time and gradually build up. I didn't let Archie drag his lead around, I held on to it but I just followed him about rather than trying to get him to come with me. Once he was used to the lead then I used a toy to get him to follow me around. You cant force her to stay at your side, you need to teach her that that is where you want her to be. There are various ways of doing it and I'm sure your class will have a specific method but I wouldn't worry too much in the early stages. Just let her get used to the idea of the lead at first. Have a fun weekend.

Offline hilhames

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 10:36:35 PM »
Thank you Archie Bean!  Will try this tomorrow
x

Offline hilhames

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 11:49:04 PM »
Went well, first practice run in the garden!