Author Topic: How much exercise?  (Read 3421 times)

Offline QuaCKeReD

• Pebbles Puddleduck
How much exercise?
« on: October 18, 2013, 09:34:31 PM »
Hi All

I know parts of this have probably been discussed lots of times, but can't actually find answer...

How much exercise should a puppy have each day, and is there a difference in limit between types (in particular pavement walking and grass)?

I have read about 5mins per month of age, twice a day, for exercise.

But also read about that being a limit for pavement walking. So, is there a difference for walking in grass?

Offline lettie10

• Jazz & Bailey
Re: How much exercise?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 10:09:15 PM »
Someone will be along with a more detailed answer soon I am sure but as a general rule the 5 mins per month of age is a good one and you can do this 2 or 3 times a day.

I don't think there is much difference between pavement and grass as a surface as such, its more about on or off lead and off lead would normally be in a park or similar place so not pavement. 

I understand it to be that on lead walks are fairly constant so 15 mins is actually 15 mins whereas off lead a dog will stop and start be sniffing, running, rolling and all the other things cocker are so good at :005: :005: :005:

Just try to not over do it especially when they are very small
"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Offline QuaCKeReD

• Pebbles Puddleduck
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 08:38:03 AM »
Thanks.

It's the overdoing it I am worried about.

She is having one 40min walk, or 2 15-20min ones at mo. Sometimes round block on pavement, sometimes across field near house.

Lots of stopping to sniff, running on, and stopping again  :005: so even the 40min walk is probably only 30mins exercise.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 09:05:35 AM »
The 5 minute rule is more about lead walking on hard surfaces such as pavements than it is about off lead walking, sniffing and playing on grass. If your puppy's 40 minute walk is mostly on lead and on pavements I think that's probably too much at 5 months. Better to split it into shorter walks and try and get a balance of not too much lead walking on hard surfaces and more off lead playing, mooching about etc. on softer surfaces.

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 11:06:55 AM »
Thanks.

It's the overdoing it I am worried about.

She is having one 40min walk, or 2 15-20min ones at mo. Sometimes round block on pavement, sometimes across field near house.

Agree with Elaine

I think the two 15-20 mins is much better than one 40 min walk

Harry's physio suggests mainly lead walking for pups - at a slow pace so they use their full range of movement, not trotting etc, he gives his pup 5 mins off lead every now & then simply to practice recall
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline QuaCKeReD

• Pebbles Puddleduck
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 10:07:58 AM »
Thanks all

We currently do two walks;
15mins, pavement, around block. On short lead.
40mins, mixed pavement and grass walk/play across/around field. On 5m extendible lead.

When on field she can run across grass, sniff, mooch, etc. so she is only on pavement around 10 mins

Her recall is bad at mo - too many interesting smells, etc - but have long lead to start teaching that outside.

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 12:12:53 PM »
I have been reading this thread with interest. I have a question which is kind of relative to the thread and it saves having to start a new one.

Murphy is 12 weeks old and because the first set of jabs he got from the breader aren't compatible with my vets inoculations he has started from scratch. He won't be able to go out for walks for another two weeks.

We have wooden flooring throughout the house and Murphy just bombs up and down most of the day. He is already very slightly bandy in his front legs. Should I be concerned about this?

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 01:07:15 PM »

We have wooden flooring throughout the house and Murphy just bombs up and down most of the day. He is already very slightly bandy in his front legs. Should I be concerned about this?
Physios/canine massage people always recommend runners on slippy floors  ;)
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 10:08:46 PM »

Oh no. Will the expense ever end

Just bought a stair gate today (for the first time in 20 years  :005:) and off tomorrow for a great big rug.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 10:48:26 PM »

Oh no. Will the expense ever end

Just bought a stair gate today (for the first time in 20 years  :005:) and off tomorrow for a great big rug.

Oh dear - but cheaper (and less painful) than broken/strained limbs aye
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline abzy0309

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 10:52:01 PM »
He is already very slightly bandy in his front legs. Should I be concerned about this?

It's interesting you saying this as I've wondered the same about Reggie. I've been looking at him thinking his front legs look a bit bowed. Is this normal? He's not over excersised but does go flying up and down sofas (which I do try and stop)

Abbie & Reggie

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 06:14:51 PM »
He is already very slightly bandy in his front legs. Should I be concerned about this?

It's interesting you saying this as I've wondered the same about Reggie. I've been looking at him thinking his front legs look a bit bowed. Is this normal? He's not over excersised but does go flying up and down sofas (which I do try and stop)

I'm going to take Murphy the vet to check his front legs out. They're not bad at the moment but I don't want them to get any worse. He has had a big growing spurt in the ten days since we had him so maybe that has something to do with it.

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2013, 09:08:52 AM »
Finally Murphy (14 weeks) can go out for walks.

Today I took him down to the playing fields and back, probably a total of less than half a mile on pavement and a slow mooch around the field. A ten minute chat with a young Springer owner and then home. I was out for a total of 45 minutes.

Too much?

Offline jonnytrabant

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 06:51:46 AM »

Today I took him down to the playing fields and back, probably a total of less than half a mile on pavement and a slow mooch around the field. A ten minute chat with a young Springer owner and then home. I was out for a total of 45 minutes.

Too much?

Not at all IMO, I never stuck to the 5 minute rule/guide, it was more like common sense, some days I was  only  out 10-20 mins or so other days like going to the beach was a lot longer.

Offline QuaCKeReD

• Pebbles Puddleduck
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2013, 09:44:57 PM »

Too much?

This was part of my question - we can be out for 45mins, but still only go end of path n back (5-6mibs each way)  :005:

If only things weren't so...smelly...