Author Topic: How much exercise?  (Read 3447 times)

Offline HBP

• Hudson Bramble
Re: How much exercise?
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2013, 10:57:35 PM »
Finally Murphy (14 weeks) can go out for walks.

Today I took him down to the playing fields and back, probably a total of less than half a mile on pavement and a slow mooch around the field. A ten minute chat with a young Springer owner and then home. I was out for a total of 45 minutes.

Too much?

This was part of my question - we can be out for 45mins, but still only go end of path n back (5-6mibs each way)  :005:

If only things weren't so...smelly...

:rofl1:

Offline QuaCKeReD

• Pebbles Puddleduck
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2013, 05:33:41 PM »
OK, back with this again...

Was walking round blocks, twice a day...each walk lasted about 25-30 mins (Pebbles is now 5months...jeesh where did THAT go!)

Started using RunKeeper app, to track route and see if any quicker, etc... So now my question has changed on length of excercise;

Recommendation is 5mins per month of age, twice a day...is that 5min of constant walking, or 5mins out of the house?

I ask as RunKeeper has an 'auto pause' feature, so it stops recording when you stop walking, and it was VERY surprising to see how long we were actually walking for out of those 25-30mins.  10mins max!

As such I have started a longer route, out of house for around an hour (though we are getting faster  :005:), though actual walking is only 25-30mins

What's people thoughts on this, and does anyone have knowledge enough to say whether it's time out of house or time actually walking?

Offline lescef

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2013, 06:40:35 PM »
Personally, I wouldn't be out for an hour every day with a young dog. The odd day maybe. As well as protecting their joints, they also get overtired.  You also have to consider how much activity they get just being at home. If someone is home with them all day and they are busy dogs, then they get a lot of exercise then too. I  know it's frustrating when you want to be out longer but the time soon goes by then you can be out for longer.
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Fluff

• Donator
  • Daisy the whirling dervish
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2013, 07:05:18 PM »
I always took Daisy to off lead places so for her, it was 20-25 mins of constant activity, albeit at her own pace. If she's only doing 25 mins of actual walking that should be fine.

Offline QuaCKeReD

• Pebbles Puddleduck
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2013, 08:40:44 PM »
I always took Daisy to off lead places so for her, it was 20-25 mins of constant activity, albeit at her own pace. If she's only doing 25 mins of actual walking that should be fine.

Thanks, that's my thoughts, too.  We are at home most days, but as working from home don't have a lot of time to play with her.

Our walks are 50/50 pavement/grass, so she's not overly done on pavement walking (though she sniffs and mooches most of time anyway).  And she is never really knackered at end.

But, yes, my concern - and reason for trying to clarify this - is joints.

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2013, 11:53:29 AM »
It is very hard to find the right balance of too little or too much exercise. If Murphy gets too much he can get over tired in the evenings and be a bit of a handful. He got too much the other day and terrorised my SIL's springer and cavalier. I wasn't there but I would have noticed the signs and out a stop to it.

I have reduced Murphy's walks to 2 half hours a day and it does seem to help.

Offline QuaCKeReD

• Pebbles Puddleduck
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2013, 04:19:14 PM »
It is very hard to find the right balance of too little or too much exercise. If Murphy gets too much he can get over tired in the evenings and be a bit of a handful. He got too much the other day and terrorised my SIL's springer and cavalier. I wasn't there but I would have noticed the signs and out a stop to it.

I have reduced Murphy's walks to 2 half hours a day and it does seem to help.

Is that half hour out of the house, or half hour of actual walking?  

Half hour out house for us equates to around 10-12 mins of walking...

...twice a day, is 25mins...which is half the recommended? Or is it?  :005: