Author Topic: Newbury UKA today (video)  (Read 3253 times)

Offline CockersIndie

Newbury UKA today (video)
« on: May 02, 2014, 09:11:03 PM »
Well today we went to our first competition. I was VERY nervous! Unfortunately we got disqualified for all 3 of our runs. She was a little overwhelmed at the starts and went to go find my boyfriend who was watching from the side! However she was immaculately behaved round the rings, she didn't kick off at ANY dogs at all, and was fine walking passed lots of dogs in close proximity. A massive achievement for her.

We also managed to do this on a second attempt. On this run, there was a bit of confusion surrounding my entry ticket so we were waiting around for about a minute on the start line, so when we did go she'd already worked out where my boyfriend was and made a beeline for him! I think if we'd gone from the off, she would've been ok! Heyho. She does miss one jump, but i'm so chuffed with this effort.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ssln3847WP0&feature=youtu.be

very proud mum tonight.

Offline Olwen

• Donator
Re: Newbury UKA today (video)
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 10:40:16 PM »
Really well done, it looked a lovely run. You must be feeling very proud of her.

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 08:27:37 AM »
Well done  :clapping: :clapping:

I used to do UKA and KC shows with William until he had to retire after being diagnosed with lumbosacral disc disease. When we first started competing I had to make sure that if my best friend or OH were with me they went off and hid before Will and I joined the queue for the class so that there was no chance of him being distracted. My friend Maria was usually my roadie  :lol2: and became an expert at lurking just behind tents and groups of people where she could see me and Will do our round but Will couldn't see her.

Our first show was also at Newbury and we had a clear round in beginners agility and 5 faults in steeplechase and jumping.

Offline jackie 14

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 08:59:44 AM »
looking good, well done  :clapping:
 we had the same problem with BillyBob as my sister is running him at present, I just stand at the start line, so he know where I am, and doesn't have to come and find me, is that's working at the moment, I found early on with my 1st cocker not to sit by the ring them  before you compete
not there this year again, but at Vyne on Monday same venue
Have fun

Offline pipkoi

• Donator
  • Butch-my First Cocker Spaniel 18.02.67 - 28.06.75
    • Dylan's Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 11:42:16 AM »
Well done, that was a lovely run. :D
Pip, Dylan, Charlie, Teagan & Kai
Remembering Butch, Brin, Simba, Toby, Jasper, Jarvis, Jake,  Bayley, Sailor & Foxy - my forever bridge babies

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 10:49:33 AM »
Brilliant - well done.  I think someone has the bug  :005:

It's probably trial & error.  A friend has just started competing with her dog & she came over to me ringside, although 99% of the time I will be around, so ignored her & she went straight back to her mum, hopefully she'll realise that it's more exciting in the ring.    Like Jackie says, sometimes it can work if your dog knows when your bf is

Good Luck for the next show
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline linda c

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 12:49:18 PM »
Brilliant, well done  :clapping: :clapping: It's fabulous to watch them go like the wind, must keep you fit as well.

Can see how you get the bug for doing it. :D

Offline MUDDYBOOTS

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 11:35:06 PM »
Brilliant run :clapping: :clapping:. Shes very fast,and you handled her very well.Wont be long before your winning competitions.

Once when I was running Benson in a KC grade 4 I left him at the start and got in position up the course,then said OK and gave him the Que to start.Instead of jumping the first fence he dashed out of the ring and had a wee  ph34r ph34r  :lol:.Then he came back in and jumped the first fence,got a clear round and he won  :D

Dog agility is great fun.

Offline CockersIndie

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 11:08:05 PM »
thank you everyone!! She is very fast when she wants to be, just need to get a bit more control over it! tonight's training was less than impressive! But we have a lovely time doing it, and we're improving all the time!

I think i'll have to get the OH to stand by the start then, hope that'll help!

Brilliant, well done  :clapping: :clapping: It's fabulous to watch them go like the wind, must keep you fit as well.

i'm not so sure about that- i'm always looking for an oyxgen tank after our runs!  :005:

we are certainly having fun! can't wait to get to the next one now!!

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 08:49:31 AM »
Well done, that was a lovely run !! I used to compete in agility with my Mum. I now show cockers, but I do still miss Agility shows. We do still do it for fun, but have not competed in a fair while now. I recognised Newbury show ground straight away. Been there many times with agility and now breed shows. Not far from us either.  ;) Glad you are enjoying it. It is fab fun for you and the dog.  Keep it up. :D
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline katie94

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 02:32:10 PM »
wow, that looked a good run and quick too, we've just started agility training-it's very addictive.

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014, 02:37:45 PM »
Well done!!!  Very envious - we've just had to stop agility classes  - too much gundog stuff on the go.  Maybe next year.  Bet you'll be in the prizes very soon!  :D
Michelle, Emily and Ollie