Author Topic: Teaching 'Down' at a distance  (Read 3698 times)

Offline Danni n Betty

• Site Member
Teaching 'Down' at a distance
« on: March 07, 2007, 12:10:44 PM »
I give myself missions with Bettys training, but Im really struggling to get her into a down or even a sit,on the way, after Ive called her to me (does that make sense? Y'know like stopping her mid way)
I used a long lead first of all, and as I walked backwards and she followed, I would repeat 'sit' and keep walking backwards until she sat, then I would go back to her and praise. So that bit worked!
But off lead is a different story, she just runs straight to me and Im running backwards with my hand out doing the Down signal, and shouting down, and she just thinks its a game!
Any tips?
Would a whistle be better? I've been thinking about trying whistle training for a while. Which one would be best...there are so many different types?

Offline Annette

• Site Member
Re: Teaching 'Down' at a distance
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 02:26:20 PM »
The way we were told to do this was to sstart with the dog only a few feet away, and give the "down" command with a clear hand signal (so they can see you from a distance). We were told to hold our right arm straight up in the air.

As they run towards you (as most of them seem to do) you keep your arm un the air, but run towards them. This will help them to realise that they don't have to run to be beside you to do the "down". (Gosh, I'm awful at describing this sort of thing - sorry). In fact, watching our trainer, she used to run towards them and sort of tower over them. I think this was on purpose, to sort of shape them into the correct behaviour. (I must stress that this was in no way any sort of "dominance/submission" method. Our trainer is vehemently against all that!).

Have to say that we don't practice this often enough, so we have only got it about 50% reliably, and then only about 20 feet away at the most (and on a good day!)

It's an important one to teach though. It could be a real life-saver if your dog ran across a road without you.

Hope that helps.

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 06:21:42 PM »
I'm trying to teach this at the mo and by gum Annette, your description on here is a lot better than how I was told to do it (over the phone, as I had to miss the training session this week so she phoned to keep me up to speed)

Can't wait to go to training and see exactly what she meant  ;)

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 09:03:13 PM »
The way we were told to do this was to sstart with the dog only a few feet away, and give the "down" command with a clear hand signal (so they can see you from a distance). We were told to hold our right arm straight up in the air.

As they run towards you (as most of them seem to do) you keep your arm un the air, but run towards them. This will help them to realise that they don't have to run to be beside you to do the "down". (Gosh, I'm awful at describing this sort of thing - sorry). In fact, watching our trainer, she used to run towards them and sort of tower over them. I think this was on purpose, to sort of shape them into the correct behaviour. (I must stress that this was in no way any sort of "dominance/submission" method. Our trainer is vehemently against all that!).

Have to say that we don't practice this often enough, so we have only got it about 50% reliably, and then only about 20 feet away at the most (and on a good day!)

It's an important one to teach though. It could be a real life-saver if your dog ran across a road without you.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Annette!  I was trying this today.  I left Ben in the down or sit position - walked away (about 20 ft) and then released him - as he raced towards me I raised my hand and shouted 'down'.  He only managed the down when about 3 ft away!  I'll try yours (when no-one is about)  :lol:

Offline Danni n Betty

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 10:06:15 PM »

Doh!!! I've been doing the opposite and running backwards away from her >:(
Confusing to her I suppose as thats what I do when shes ignoring recall.
Thanks Annette, I haven't been able to get to dog class for over a month now, so Im going to the park armed with your technique and a load of tuna bread, and master it before dog class on Sunday ;)..well nearly!

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 10:16:32 PM »
We've all been very busy today!  :005:  I've been doing this too today!

I've been doing it with mine for a while, and I think its a bit of trial and error with what works for you and it takes a bit of time too.

I'd start by getting them to be able to do positions at a distance when staying still. Start where you are right in front of them and ask them to do a sit, down or stand. Take a step away and repeat, two steps away and so on. If they stop at any point go back to them and start again. I've tightened the criteria, as mine tend to do a little walk forward when I say stand and I want them to do it without moving forward.

To do what is a stop on target, which you can build up to when your timing and their response times improve, I leave them in a stay move away then call them. I found to begin with a stop command with the stay hand signal got the best results. I found they naturally went into a sit, so now I just do STOP and hand up flat and they stop. Sometimes immediately sometimes not.

Just another way round it. Find which works the best for you and your dog.

Then try the emergency stop.  ;)
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 12:06:48 PM »
Today Fern stopped and stayed but she would not sit. She stayed exactly where she was until I reached her then she sat  ::)

But I'm really happy that she stayed and did not move so we are going in the right direction  ;) (3 times she did this on the walk)

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2007, 09:26:37 PM »
I just teach instant downs.  When they are running round, or playing, I just ask for the down and praise them when they do it.  The quicker they react the better the reward.  (Be careful what floor you use though so they dont hurt their elbows).
When they are good at that part I tie it onto another exercise (e.g. recall/sendaway)  If I have to drop the dog on a recall I dont give the same command.  It I want Storm to complete a formal recall...I say 'Stormi' and give her hand signal.  If I am going to drop her on the recall I just say 'Storm come', so she knows what to expect.  I dont drop her very often on recalls though, but when I have been asked to at club I havent had any problems.

Offline pupdaddy

• Site Member
  • What you lookin' at?
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 06:43:45 PM »
How old are your dogs? Jarvis doesn't really respond when he's off the lead...
Robin & Emma & Jarvis

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2007, 08:26:22 PM »
Storm has just turned 3, but the drop on recall was included in a class she took when she was about 8-months-old?

Would it help if you kept Jarvis on a long lead whilst teaching him this?  Just till he gets good at it...then try him off-lead in an enclosed and boring environment...and build up to more open spaces with more distractions?

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2007, 11:46:22 AM »
The way I taught this was to teach a rock solid sit or a down close to me first.
You need to this with the dog in front of you, behind you, to the side of you,with you standing, sitting, kneeling down etc to really proof the cue I then taught my dog to stop in his tracks when coming toward me which I did by bringing my hand up from my side full of treats and throwing the treats behind the dog.
As the dog turned to get the food click and the food on the floor is the reward.
I then progressed this to having no food just the hand signal then adding the down.
Mark

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2007, 11:57:15 AM »
Fern will stop and wait for me to get to her but her bottom will not go on the ground when out  ::) It's as tho she's saying 'I'm not sitting here it'll be cold and damp'  :005:

So how do I get her to sit or even down when outside?  :huh: any tips gratefully received  ;)

Have been trying in the garden, and when on lead walking to cross the road but she just sort of squats rather than sits  :huh:

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2007, 03:20:18 PM »
 you could try on a piece of old carpet to start with outside and make the carpet gradually smaller.
Do you clicker train?

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2007, 03:52:03 PM »
Fern will stop and wait for me to get to her but her bottom will not go on the ground when out  ::) It's as tho she's saying 'I'm not sitting here it'll be cold and damp'  :005:

:005:  Charlie does that, or he'll keep his bum about three inches off the floor   :lol:

Millie

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2007, 08:38:53 AM »
you could try on a piece of old carpet to start with outside and make the carpet gradually smaller.
Do you clicker train?

Yes I clicker train  ;) but to no avail out side with sitting  ::)