Author Topic: Ben, Tricks and Music?  (Read 1654 times)

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
Ben, Tricks and Music?
« on: March 22, 2007, 09:35:55 PM »
I bumped into my original trainer today and asked if there was anywhere more local to do agility.  I am doing my 6th and final lesson on Saturday but would love somewhere close to practice.  He said he would love to do agility but couldn't find a venue.

He did say that he was starting a course that you could start or leave at anytime - teaching tricks for fun!  It sounded good but he then said that he was aiming to get a team of 6 dogs and putting their tricks to music - much like dancing but not if you know what I mean!  He knows Ben from the early days and has had a soft spot for the little b$gger and would welcome him to the class.  My problem is that Ben would be in a class of dogs that have been clicker trained to a high standard - although Ben is good with a clicker his mind can wander (to say the least).  I have an awful feeling that the other owners would be horrified at this monster in their class! 

What do you think - is teaching tricks (eventually to music) a good thing or one to be avoided for a rough and ready cocker like Ben?

Offline Joules

• Administrator
Re: Ben, Tricks and Music?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 10:07:25 PM »
Sounds like it might be fun!  :D  If it is meant to be a fun class and not taken too seriously, I would definitely give it a go.  I would love to do something like this with Coco - she loves learning new things and it makes her use her brain!  ;) If he turns out to be hopeless then at least you will have lots of funny stories to tell us on here  :005:
Julie and Watson

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 02:20:16 PM »
If you can start and leave whenever you like...it's probably worth giving it a try?  You might both really enjoy it...and he could be very good at it.  It might give him something to think about  :005:

It might not matter that the others dogs have had more experience with clicker training than Ben has...they wont all be perfect...and each dog will find some tricks easier to master than others (and some will have their own 'unique' tricks. If he gets really into the training you might find his mind wanders less?

If you do decide to go to the class...have fun!

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 03:29:45 PM »
I'd love to do this...go for it  :D
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 02:10:47 PM »
I do this with Bayley  and we have started putting it to music.
I have two left feet and can't dance so this is the way we are going.
Bayley is learning the table at the mo which involves him ending up on my shoulders.
We are also working on a demo routine for college to the theme from the last James Bond flick.
We are doing some of his favorites like walk round me backwards on his hind paws, spins and twirls playing basket ball and rolling along on a huge cable drum.
Just use your imagination and have fun.
GO for it I think a tricks class to music is a great idea.

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 08:25:03 PM »
Thanks Mark - it sounds like fun and I know that Ben would enjoy it once he got over his impatience!  He doesn't do waiting very well!

We had our last taster session of agility today - the trainer said that Ben should come back for the 1-2-1's which is the next stage before the next class.  These sessions are £10 for 1/2 hour so I don't think I can afford both  :shades:

He loves the agility so much that he takes himself off to do things that I haven't asked him to do  :lol:  The trainer did say that he had some 'learning' to do but that he was a natural and obviously loved it  :D  There was one thing today that made us laugh - he was the second dog to do a figure of 8 - through the tunnel and sharp right to a jump.  We were all told the commands to give and where to move to make the dog do it the shortest way possible.  I was getting Ben to sit and wait while I got in position but he wasn't going to wait  :lol:  He did it perfectly without me saying a thing  :005:  It was just a fluke but he just 'grinned' as if to say what's next  :lol: