Author Topic: Yippee - starting agility PS - Do you feed before a class?  (Read 3350 times)

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
Yippee - starting agility PS - Do you feed before a class?
« on: March 23, 2007, 08:08:45 AM »
At last we're starting an agility class  :D
Obviously with the weather being as wet as it has been I was told by the trainer (that we were hoping to go to) to keep calling on a weekly basis.  So I did last week only to be told that unfortunately it looks like he's going to have to sell his agility equipment, I don't think he's making any money, although I know he only did it more of a hobby but he only ever had 2 dogs in a class at a time, which I suppose is why.
Anyway...I rang & left a couple of answer phone messages at other venues & then eventually managed to speak to somebody who runs a class approx 12 miles away, but she hasn't got a class this week so we'd booked in to start next week.  A few hours later one of the other ladies returned my call, again sounding very nice on the phone.  I did explain that we were going to look at another class next week & she said it's not a problem & understood that we wanted to find the most suitable, this one is in the opposite direction & approx 14 miles, so nothing to choose from there.  So this week we're going to her class too.  She went through a few things to take ie. high value treats etc & then said not to feed Max.  The class isn't until 11.30am & he's usually whining for his breaki at 6am, so gets it anytime between 6 & 7am which I explained so she agreed to feed him half because he'll be more inclined to co-oporate if he's hungry.  :005:  So that's what we're going to do.  It will be interesting to see if it makes a difference to him because he is so food motivated I think I could feed him twice as much before a class & he'd still have his nose in the food pouch.  ::)
Wish me luck  :lol:
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline cazza

• Site Member
Re: Yippee - starting agility PS - Do you feed before a class?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 08:13:46 AM »
Good luck - I hope you find the right class for you  ;)

Sorry but I don't know about feeding first or not, but I suppose it makes sense to feed half instead of all (mind you I'd feel guilty, like I did yesterday when I couldn't feed Fern at all anything due to her going in for her op)

Offline kellyjayne

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 08:20:49 AM »
Have fun maxine, I'm sure max will be great  :D
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.  ~Author Unknown
Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.  ~Roger Caras

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 08:27:29 AM »
Have fun maxine, I'm sure max will be great  :D

We might have fun, not so sure about him being great though  :005:
At our fun-type class last Mon she had 5 hula hoops set up to jump through, Max who is normally very quiet had his tail wagging all the time whilst the others were doing their bit & generally doing his excited moaning noise  ::).  The lady next to me cheered when it was Max's go because he was so keen,  we were 3rd to go & bless he started well but then we had to turn around to do it all again & he went off to check to see if any food had been dropped,  >:( when we eventually got going again he managed to drag the last hoop along with his back legs, the lazy lump  :005:

Offline Rosie

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 08:31:37 AM »
I never used to feed before and then thought about the fact that I was asking my dogs to work on an empty stomach and especially if it is in the morning.  Personally I always feed my dogs a good few hours before training/running and as long as I have lovely high value treats they are so willing to work.  For early classes I tended to use really really high value such as garlic sausage/smelly cheese and all my dogs could easily tell that I had it and whatever they had eating it sure kept their interest!!!

If Max is food motivated then it should not be an issue especialy if it is high value and only used for training etc.

Another tip I have found with Spice is if they are ball orientated when they have learnt the equipment a ball can be fantastic to get them moving ahead of you and confident to go over the jumps.

Most of all go and enjoy - it is nerve wracking but everyone else will be in the same boat as you and it is fantastic fun!

Rosie & 4 naughty cockers plus one!

Offline sarah25

• Site Member
  • Charbonnel Love'N'It At Oramiss
    • Oramiss Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 09:58:02 AM »
We dont feed ours when we do any kind of training,they work much better for you  ;)

Offline crazyspaniels

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 11:28:33 AM »
I often tell handlers coming to obedience not to feed their dogs but I feed mine as it doesn't matter to them, I could never leave Dobbie with an empty stomach - he would explode :lol: It depends on the dog and their concentration levels
We train on a monday at 11am so he gets his brekkie at 8 or 9 am as usual, on wednesday Bilbo trains at 7pm, he gets a half dinner at 5pm just because he gets some treats at training and he would get fat  :lol: and on thursdays we do agility at 2pm, then home for dinner at 5pm and out to obedience.

Freya and Cockers Bilbo and Dobbie, not forgetting the Springers Willow and Paddy

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 11:33:58 AM »
Good luck Maxine. I'm sure you'll have great fun.  :D

I feed Reuben before a training class. He is fed at about 6 p.m. and the class is from 7.30 - 8.30. But Reuben is sooooooo food orientated that it wouldn't matter if I fed him whilst we were actually there.  ::) He would still work for any extras he could get.  :005:

Offline phillyknickers

• Site Member
  • Can we go home yet.....?
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 12:40:16 PM »
Good luck Maxine  :blink:
Hope you found somewhere good in the end........
Is there a recommended age before you start by the way?  I thought that it may be 12 months - might be wrong  :-\.  Just thinking about Harry that's all  ::)
Harry the Sprocker - crossbreed I know, but still gorgeous !

"Don't walk in front of me - I may not follow.
 Don't walk behind me - I may not lead.
 Just walk beside me & be my friend." (and STOP PULLING!!)

Albert Camus

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007, 12:45:06 PM »
Is there a recommended age before you start by the way?  I thought that it may be 12 months - might be wrong  :-\.  Just thinking about Harry that's all  ::)

I think it's recommended to wait until they're 12 months  ;)

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2007, 02:11:54 PM »
Glad you found a couple of classes to go look at.  Hope you find something suitable for you and Max  :blink:

I would agree with the trainer...try feeding him 1/2 his meal so he doesnt feel he is starving, but also has plenty of room for sweeties  ;)  Also...he's going to be running round a lot...and probably getting very excited...so he wont want a full tummy (it might make him ill).

Have fun!

Offline silke

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2007, 02:18:23 PM »
Great news, Maxine. :blink:

Hope you and Max enjoy agility - let us know how you get on.  ;)

I've always fed the dogs a little bit, obviously quite some time before the training  :shades: - they've had something to eat then, but are still keen on their treats.

Sillkex

Offline Spangle

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2007, 03:57:01 PM »
I always feed my dogs, but I make sure there is a couple of hours or so between eating and training.  I never used to feed, but with Billy; soon began to realise that he was being distracted by his empty stomach! 

Recommended age for training is 12 months, when dogs are considered to be developed enough, mentally and physically.  Most clubs have the rule that dogs under 12 months are not allowed, although some turn a blind eye to this when it suits them  ::)

Rachel, Sophie, Billy, Ted, Bonnie & Sammy xxxx

Offline Emily

• Site Member
  • Crystal <3
    • http://www.molkara-cockerspaniels.piczo.com
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2007, 04:04:11 PM »
I would feed him a couple of hours before trainning as working straight after eating isn't very good for them at all this  also goes the same for feeding them after, as it still has the same affect i would leave it a couple of hours after you have come back if you do decide to feed him after training.

I know of some places that dont start training dogs until there 15-18 mths but i guess it depends on the place you chose to go to.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2007, 05:11:30 PM »
I routinely feed Molo twice a day, but on Agility class day he has his breakfast at 7 am; class isn't until 8 pm and he doesn't eat again until then, when I use his food allowance as lures/rewards  ph34r I will skip skip his morning meal if we are going somewhere for the day, too; he doesn't get fed before a COL meet, for instance  ;)

I do fast him all day occasionally though, especially if he has had a diet of processed food for a few days in kennels - I will fast him for 24 hours and then go back to BARF....so he is quite used to missing meals  ph34r
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club