Author Topic: Interested in Agility  (Read 1336 times)

Offline benji

• Site Member
Interested in Agility
« on: May 28, 2007, 09:14:17 PM »
Benji is 8 months old and I think he'd really enjoy some agility work (as would we!).

My worry is that he's not 100% off lead at present.  Recall is good but not perfect.
Would it be ok to take him to agility classes at this stage or should we wait until we've perfected the recall?

Thanks

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
Re: Interested in Agility
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 09:20:20 PM »
You can't do 'proper' agility classes until he is at least a year old because of the strain it puts on the joints. However I have heard of puppy agility classes which are held by some clubs, although my local one doesn't  ::)

You could maybe try to find a general obedience training class for working on Benji's recall etc. for a few months and then hopefully by the time he's old enough to do agility his recall should be sorted!  :D
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline Spangle

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 07:01:56 AM »
Just a tip; it would be an idea to contact any clubs now and get him on their waiting list, so by the time he is old enough you might have a place in a club to go to  :D
Rachel, Sophie, Billy, Ted, Bonnie & Sammy xxxx

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 07:16:18 AM »
I agree that it would be a good idea to visit some classes and get your name on a waiting list if you can........I was chatting to our Agility trainer last week and she said that some classes are in such demand that there is now an entrance assessment  :o

Fortunately, our classes are for fun and although they are in great demand, there is no pressure to have a dog that meets a certain standard........but if you find a class you are happy with and want to establish the basics, then a reasonable recall, a reliable wait and you could even practice with a childrens play tunnel and a set of homemade weaves  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline benji

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 06:44:17 PM »
Thanks for your replies.

His "stay" is very good but we're nervous of letting him off lead (as he has selective hearing at the moment!) so agree it's best to get that sorted first otherwise we coul dhave all sorts of problems!

I love the idea of starting in the garden though! That could be fun.

Will let you know how we get on.

xx

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 06:58:46 PM »
His "stay" is very good but we're nervous of letting him off lead (as he has selective hearing at the moment!) so agree it's best to get that sorted first otherwise we coul dhave all sorts of problems!

If you mean your dog legging it past you to the other end of the course to sniff/pee/roll, then even with the soundest of recalls it will probably happen once or twice  :005:

The minute we started our run last week, my little treasure remembered that his mates mum (Cheryl) had fed him roast chicken the day before - so off he went to see her in the waiting area :005:

Long line training can be brilliant for recall; it really helps give you confidence as well as teaching the dog what is expected  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline PennyB

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 07:56:07 PM »
Thanks for your replies.

I love the idea of starting in the garden though! That could be fun.

Will let you know how we get on.

xx

The 1st lot of agility we did was done onlead anyway (I used a longer training lead)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!