Author Topic: Agility advice  (Read 3106 times)

Offline Clover

• Site Member
  • Clover & Amy
Re: Agility advice
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2008, 07:56:26 PM »
Willow and I did a little six week course in the summer, we had general obedience  :005: which was all that was needed. Our group was very relaxed and fun, and only one collie in sight.  No one came already prepared for obedience, it really did start from the beginning, leads on most of the time.  We all had good fun, probably at my expense some of the time  :005:, we managed to come last position on the very last session, we had a little competition between two groups, little madam, wouldn't lay down on table, we managed to finish a good minute after the rest  :005:  Relax and enjoy.   ps. where roughly is the agility based ? , as I cannot find indoor/winter courses around here.

Willow and Katie

Offline Ori1

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2008, 08:06:03 PM »
Are you anywhere near melton mowbray???? EMDAC run training...or have you tried looking on agility.net? They list clubs on there...this might help you?????

Offline Clover

• Site Member
  • Clover & Amy
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2008, 08:14:05 PM »
Yes, well about 20 miles. Will have a look, thanks.

Willow and Katie

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2008, 08:28:42 PM »
Willow and I did a little six week course in the summer, we had general obedience  :005: which was all that was needed. Our group was very relaxed and fun, and only one collie in sight.  No one came already prepared for obedience, it really did start from the beginning, leads on most of the time.  We all had good fun, probably at my expense some of the time  :005:, we managed to come last position on the very last session, we had a little competition between two groups, little madam, wouldn't lay down on table, we managed to finish a good minute after the rest  :005:  Relax and enjoy.   ps. where roughly is the agility based ? , as I cannot find indoor/winter courses around here.

I'm going to one in Crowland, Lincs and it will be in a barn so still cold but not wet  :005:   There was one I was going to contact run by the woman who whose dog won Crufts this year but it looks like its in a field and its so wet and cold at the moment I didn't fancy it.   I'll see how I get on with this one as its run by the trainer who I did my second puppy training course with and she was brilliant at teaching me so much so hoping we'll pick it up quickly.   We're only going for fun anyway, not for competition, I've had to wait a while til I'm sure she has healed inside from being spayed and am looking forward to starting some sort of training with her again. 

I always practice the sit and wait as we do that at roadsides but to make her move, I just say come on so hoping I can use the same words.   I do this in the kitchen as well as I'm heading for the door but we've not cracked that yet as when I'm out of site, she comes a looking.   :005:

Offline Clover

• Site Member
  • Clover & Amy
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2008, 08:36:00 PM »
Definitely need one inside at this time of year. Even one of our sessions was a wet Wednesday in the summer, could I get her to do 'down' >:D  nope, she wasn't getting her belly wet. Will you still be going to the COL meet ? or does this clash ?

Willow and Katie

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2008, 08:38:44 PM »
Definitely need one inside. Even one of our sessions was a wet Wednesday in the summer, could I get her to do 'down' >:D  nope, she wasn't getting her belly wet. Will you still be going to the COL meet ? or does this clash ?

Oooh, good point, can't remember the time of the meet - off to have a look.

Definitely still going on the meet - can't miss that as Indie loves them.    Agility is either 10.00 am or 11.00 am so can still get there at 1.00 p.m., we might both be knackered though   :D

Offline Clover

• Site Member
  • Clover & Amy
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2008, 08:49:02 PM »
That's good then. It's the first we've been able to make.

Willow and Katie

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2008, 08:50:32 PM »
That's good then. It's the first we've been able to make.

Great, watermead was a great meet last time, I really liked the place and think there were about 18 cockers last time  :D

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2008, 09:52:49 PM »
I always practice the sit and wait as we do that at roadsides but to make her move, I just say come on so hoping I can use the same words.   I do this in the kitchen as well as I'm heading for the door but we've not cracked that yet as when I'm out of site, she comes a looking.   :005:

Try making her sit and wait for her dinner; once you have that mastered, a wait at the start of an agility course is a lot easier to master  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2008, 10:43:56 PM »

Try making her sit and wait for her dinner; once you have that mastered, a wait at the start of an agility course is a lot easier to master  ;)

I'm the wrong side of 50, overweight and unfit! So making sure William can do a really good sit and wait at the start of an agility course is one of the most important things in our agility training. I need a head start on him! :005:

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2008, 10:57:07 PM »

She does that already so that sounds quite promising.   :D

Offline Workingcocker

• Site Member
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2008, 12:28:32 PM »
My advice would be

Bring some really nice treats Liver cake or something equally smelly and appealing so that sniffing the arena isnt an option.

Keep everything positive

Train the sit stay at the beginning.

Most of all have fun

xxxxx
/Users/sarah/Desktop/IMG_1839.JPG

Offline Freckle

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2008, 05:08:39 PM »
Sorry to dispoint you - but all agility does is make you realise how unfit you are - not how fit you can become.

Or perhaps it is just me!   >:(