Author Topic: Do any cockers do Canix  (Read 3031 times)

Offline mcphee

Do any cockers do Canix
« on: December 12, 2009, 06:44:05 AM »
I was wondering whether any Colers do canix with their cockers, and if so where?
http://www.cani-cross.co.uk/
Just seen an item on it on Breakfast, and didn't see any spaniels.

Offline Victoria

• Site Member
  • Beautiful Betsy
Re: Do any cockers do Canix
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 06:57:31 AM »
I just saw it too.  It looks blinkin' hard work.   :o

Offline mcphee

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 07:33:05 AM »
Yes, and what about sniffs and bunnies and squirrels?

Offline Victoria

• Site Member
  • Beautiful Betsy
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 07:47:27 AM »
Yes, and what about sniffs and bunnies and squirrels?

hahaha maybe that is why there were no cockers doing it.   :lol2:

Offline Holly Berry

• Donator
  • Today I’m going to be a b****r
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 10:05:04 AM »
I saw that too I decided it wouldn't be good with Rosie as it wouldn't be very smooth running It would be fast forward to the next smell and then jerk back to one she had just passed. My knees would be more wrecked than they already are!
Rosie Cassie Lucy Poppy and Holly My Angels at the Bridge

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2009, 10:23:20 AM »
I think ClaireP had a go at it - there was a thread a while ago - don't know how far she got.

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=48210.0

Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline 6thSense

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009, 10:57:22 AM »
I've seen this before and it does look good doesn't it, but I think it would be an accident waiting to happen with my lot.  :shades: :005: Morgana has good endurance, but would be dragging me off into the hedges after bunnies etc etc. The pups would be going in three different directions and Harvey would be pushed to get off the start line as he would be to busy mooching about. That's if I even made it anywhere without collapsing on the floor.  :shades: :005:
xxxxxx 🐕 Sarah & 'Chamerl' Cocker Crew 🐕 xxxxxx

Offline mcphee

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2009, 11:38:30 AM »
I agree. What a strange idea that a human should say exactly where the next sniff is. I think Rufus and I will stick to walking (me) and controlling his own exertion level, depending on sniff (Rufus).

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 02:15:37 PM »
I knew someone in Derby that did Canix with their cocker.  Unfortunately I have lost touch with her now so don't know if she still competes or has moved.

Offline LinzHenz

• Puffy Fluppy Dog
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 03:01:14 PM »
i saw this on breakfast as well and thought that would be a perfect thing to take up in the new year! im crap at running, but henry is mega good at pulling me along and if you are running with him there arent as many sniff stops.

my only (vain) thought is that wearing a harness matts his armpits up terrible, so not sure from a fashion point of view whether it would be suitable  :005:
Linz & Henry Dog

Offline Freckle

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 01:37:43 PM »
Feeling a little sick at the thought of attaching both mine to me and trying to run.

Quickest way to get broken legs, knees, nose, ripped into two halves and lots more! lol

Not a cocker sport in my opinion 

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 01:44:24 PM »
I just dont get it  :embarassed:

why does the dog have to be on lead pulling you  :huh:

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 01:50:06 PM »
Hmmmmm.. I'm not sure about this. It looks very hard on the dogs joints. I cycle with my two and Dave can't keep a constant pace without looking a bit distressed so I don't think it would really suit cockers they seem to have more of a point and squirt pace but need to stop and start a lot. My Weim can easily keep a steady pace and happily runs along side the bike but I only cycle with her on dirt/sand tracks any road work is very short just to get into the forest iyswim as I really think it pounds their joints too much. I used to run on lead with Trev (cocker) and he struggled with the steady pace too even though he was pretty leggy and very fit.. think this sport is more suited to bigger/steadier breeds despite what they say :huh:

Also, not sure how I feel about encourageing them to run in front of me after all the hours/days/weeks/months/years of lead training I've done :lol:

ETA: Posted at the same time as Crazy Cocker Gang :005:

I just dont get it  :embarassed:

You does the dog have to be on lead pulling you  :huh:

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Crazy Cocker Gang

• Donator
  • Jack, Flynn, Brie and baby seth xx
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 01:56:08 PM »
Hmmmmm.. I'm not sure about this. It looks very hard on the dogs joints. I cycle with my two and Dave can't keep a constant pace without looking a bit distressed so I don't think it would really suit cockers they seem to have more of a point and squirt pace but need to stop and start a lot. My Weim can easily keep a steady pace and happily runs along side the bike but I only cycle with her on dirt/sand tracks any road work is very short just to get into the forest iyswim as I really think it pounds their joints too much. I used to run on lead with Trev (cocker) and he struggled with the steady pace too even though he was pretty leggy and very fit.. think this sport is more suited to bigger/steadier breeds despite what they say :huh:

Also, not sure how I feel about encourageing them to run in front of me after all the hours/days/weeks/months/years of lead training I've done :lol:

ETA: Posted at the same time as Crazy Cocker Gang :005:

I just dont get it  :embarassed:

You does the dog have to be on lead pulling you  :huh:

see i understand people running with their dogs off lead but not with them on lead, pulling you, while being encouraged to chase  :huh:

why cant the dogs just be running off lead next to you  :huh:

agree with Hannah I have spent to long teaching them not to pull or chase things to do this

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2009, 04:27:04 PM »
I think ClaireP had a go at it - there was a thread a while ago - don't know how far she got.

http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=48210.0

I haven't done a race yet but have just booked onto my first one on 4th Jan, can't wait!  Actually if you're running with my two they kind of get into their stride and they know they're not allowed to stop and sniff things (rolling in the frost is a whole other thing though, you suddenly find you're dragging one of them along on their back as they've thrown themselves down  ph34r).

We've taught them "mush" as well to speed them up if they're slacking. We're doing a 5k race with them through a forest down near Farnham (Alice Holt?). We'll be spending the next couple of weeks building them up to 35-40mins as we've only really done 20-25min quick runs with them so far and it's much harder work for them pulling into a harness than their normal offlead running.

Will let you know how we go!  :lol2:
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk