Author Topic: Agility shows - do your dogs need more energy?  (Read 1352 times)

Offline Becky and Wilson

• Site Member
Agility shows - do your dogs need more energy?
« on: April 18, 2011, 10:06:46 AM »
I noticed last year that my girls really slowed and were more tempted to go off sniffing in the 2nd half of an agility show day.  On Saturday I took them all to my agility club where I had a class at 11, an hour break then a class at 1 and then after that class a 2 hour walk with the club.

They were shattered!  Now I'm worried because I have a show this weekend and if they were tired after this saturday when we did nothing first thing what will they be like when we're on the go from about 7am!? 

Should I up their food, should I get a high energy food for them?  I heard some people use Frolic? 

Any tips on keeping them live and kicking all day?  Maybe a cup of coffee!  :005:
Becky - Owned by Wilson(Great Dane), Paisley, Isla, Merfyn (Cockers) the 3 cats and the two rabbits!

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
Re: Agility shows - do your dogs need more energy?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 10:28:58 AM »
Sorry no advice Becky but my two are always shattered after a show & I do put them in the car to rest alot more than I used to.
This weekend proved that it's the hype of the day rather than doing the agility that tires them though, as Harry who was simply doing his funeral procession pace walking from car to rings & no agility, as instructed by the physio, was absolutely shattered on Saturday night & snored like we've never heard before  :005:
But like your girls, Max tends to slow down as the day goes on, but then it was exceptionally warm this weekend

No idea about frolic but a groomer suggested giving it to Harry to help fill him out

I have heard Burns treats mentioned to give them an energy boost  :-\
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline Sarah1985

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 10:40:19 AM »
I know lots of flyball dogs that are fed working dog food during the flyball season to keep their energy levels up.

I personally just give my two a quiet day the day before and the day after. keep them somewhere quiet between runs so they can have a snooze.

If its like flyball its an experience thing. The older more experienced flyball dogs tend to get sleep between goes, whilest the newbees tend to be on the go all morning and get destracted later.

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 10:44:07 AM »
There are supplements in forms of bars or drinks that are supposed to give them an energy boost, like this http://www.activepetfeeds.com/pemmikan.php
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline black taz

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 01:17:53 PM »
I have found Taz is better in the afternoon if i have put him in the car for a rest in the morning.  On the occasion i kept him with me all day, by the last run he was nearly falling asleep on the start line (Max X 2 can vouch for that :005:) and he was useless, i didnt even bother finishing the course.

Yesterday, he spent quite a lot of the day in the car and his afternoon run was by far the best.

I have noticed he is always shattered the next day as well though.  I think this is more to do with stamina then energy so not sure that more food would help.

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 02:27:57 PM »
I've only had one time when Misha slowed at an agility show and thats when I fed her raw food for breakfast instead of her usual kibble (don't know why it made a difference, maybe the lack of carbs).  For the most part Misha & Roly seem to improve in the 2nd half of the day and concentrate a bit more. 

Since starting flyball I take a weak mix of goats milk and water with me to give them inbetween runs (sometimes soaking a very small amount of kibble with the milk mixture) if we have more than 2-3 hours between runs, so that they have at least an hour to digest followed by a very short walk and then a sleep.
At our last flyball comp I did notice that Misha was less inclined to say hello to other dogs, even getting a bit grumbly with some other cockers, but made no difference to her performance in the afternoon, and was still as keen as ever.

You can get some food bars that can be fed to dogs mid day from CSJ but have not tried them before
http://www.csjk9.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=115&idcategory=14
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline Becky and Wilson

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 03:38:28 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone, I think the main thing will be to make sure they get some quality rest before, during and after a show!  I usually feed kibble in the morning and raw at night so I might even feed them kibble the night before the show as well, or maybe add some pasta to their raw for the carbs.

I guess I could take some pasta with me too to feed them as treats during the day!

Supergirl, you said about the goats milk and water mix, is this meant for boosting energy or something else?

Stamina also must play a part, I'll have to start taking them out for longer to build them up to coping with whole days out!  It's just awkward at the minute with Merfyn as he's not a year old yet so still on limited walks!
Becky - Owned by Wilson(Great Dane), Paisley, Isla, Merfyn (Cockers) the 3 cats and the two rabbits!

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 03:57:20 PM »
Supergirl, you said about the goats milk and water mix, is this meant for boosting energy or something else?

I just do it to keep them hydrated in warmer weather with a little bit extra - Sometimes my lot don't seem to drink when its very warm and this encourages them.  Its a long time between breakfast and dinner with a lot of energy used.  When I add a small bit of kibble its only about 10 or so pieces, so not very much at all.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline Rosie

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 10:14:56 PM »
I think that dogs do build more in stamina after doing a ew shows and also as the season goes on.

My competing dogs are all fed a performance food over the summer not so much for energy but to maintain their weight,  they also gt frequent breaks and time outs crated in the car to ensure that they get proper down time.

Mine are all now used to the competing life but I often add sardines to their evening meal and a canine massage therapist suggested rice and honety after  day of competing.

Am sure that te girls will get used to it quite quickly

Rosie & 4 naughty cockers plus one!