Author Topic: Cockers in Competition Obedience  (Read 1998 times)

Offline Carley

Cockers in Competition Obedience
« on: May 17, 2012, 04:29:17 PM »
Hey, anyone on here work their cocker in competition obedience? I have only worked collies and belgians before, but now have a cocker to show/work and just wondered if anyone has any training tips for me? Chianti is very keen, but it seems 'different' working a small dog!!  Cant wait to get her into the ring however.   :005:

Offline Emilyoliver

Re: Cockers in Competition Obedience
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 05:18:55 PM »
I worked Emily in competitive obedience and we qualified up to A test (won through pre-beginners to novice). Honestly, it was fun, but she got very bored with long heelwork routines and after a hilarious show where I ended up doing most of the routine on my own  :005:, I decided to stop competing. From my own experience, I find cockers get bored quickly with repetitive exercises, and I never got the perfect wraparound heelwork so evident (and impressive) in the collies and we lost marks there.

I did working trials training with Emily and she loved that, especially the tracking. We did agility as well and still do, and both of them enjoy that. So, yes they love learning and training and can do well at various disciplines, but training can be that bit more challenging as they get bored quickly and distracted easily, so you need to have a sense of humour and be creative with ideas for motivation!  Good luck and most of all have fun!  :D
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
    • Wagging Tails Dog Training
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 12:02:33 PM »
I do competitive obedience with my spaniels. I have been doing it for a few years, for the last 4 years with my American cocker who is in Beginners (and needs to win out of it desperately... he can do it, but the previous year had a car phobia so stopped working in the ring, and last year for some unknown reason started to break stays and gave a couple of wins away that way...  >:( ).

My English cocker is 17 months old and can do her exercises very well, however, is still an air head in other aspects and this year I am mainly working on just keeping her attention and having complete fun in the ring, so am not competing with her yet; hopefully next year, but I'm not in a rush.

There are more and more spaniels in obedience, so I say give it a go.  :D

It is definitely different working a small dog, I find I have the tendency much more to lean over them. Also, they can get themselves out of position during heelwork for example trying to look up at my face... though a lot of that is also my crooked movements partly also due to them being small  :005:

Jesse (my American cocker) is dead easy to train and has 100% attention on me at all times in the ring, so he really is no problem in respect of that. He will do everything a thousand times over if asked (and a treat is on the go), he is cool with anything we do. (Here is a little taster of him practicing in my sitting room: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHhV2MIFIUg ).

Skye is trickier with keeping attention as her spaniel nose kicks in very easily...  :shades: Jesse won out of Pre-Beginners at 18 months old, but Skye isn't ready yet for the ring as I just know she will take off after a smell if the fancy takes her. So this year, I will just do lots of playing with her, lots of attention work around shows (she comes to shows with me and Jesse) and towards the autumn enter her in some classes to do training rounds. She will come good, but she needs much more fun being put into the training than Jesse does for example as other things (spaniel things like smells) can become more interesting very quickly otherwise.  ;)

Good luck. Whereabouts are you? If you are in the south east, then perhaps we'll meet some time.
Vera Marney
BSc (Hons) Canine Behaviour and Training, APDT UK
www.wtdt.co.uk and www.wtdt-eastanglia.co.uk

Offline Carley

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 08:39:53 PM »
Oh that all sounds exciting...thank you for replying. I live in Lincolnshire so mainly do shows within an hour and a half of me...I work two collies also.  I guess the furthest south I come is West Suffolk, or Woburn? Would love to meet sometime.  :D

Offline silke

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 09:37:27 PM »
I train Charlie (and my collie girl) in competitive obedience - he loves it (they both do)!  :blink:

I love Jesse in the video - he's amazing! :angel: Do any of you have photos? I'd really like to see some of cockers in action! :D

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 07:47:57 PM »
I competed with Storm for a while (she got through to placing in A at open and in B at limit) and Lily (only in novice though).  I agree with Emily: the length of heelwork (especially some novice rounds on uneven ground!) can be a bit much for mine at times!  I'd say you really need to handle cleanly with a small dog too as they are severely affected by any minor handling error or unexpected leg movement. 

I wish you all the best and enjoy :)

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 04:40:22 PM »
My American cocker got 2nd in Beginners on Sunday.  :D
Vera Marney

Offline LurcherGirl

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 09:01:14 PM »
A little snipped of Jesse doing heelwork training: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jXkRLb8K-g
Vera Marney