Author Topic: getting Alfie active  (Read 1651 times)

Offline jak3

getting Alfie active
« on: July 11, 2012, 03:52:25 PM »
hi everyone,
I have an 8month old working cocker and looking for some advice really as to different types of classes, ie agility, i would love to get him into something like field trials but afraid have no clue where to start or if he is to young or to late to start the training? or what sort of basicskills he would need before attempting these type of classes, Also if anyone could recommend any sort of classes like this within Scotland we live outside Glasgow but would be prepaired to travel up to a couple of hours for good classes. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!  :D

Offline Emilyoliver

Re: getting Alfie active
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 08:29:19 AM »
Do you have a gundog club in your area?  Have a look on the gundog training forum (just google it) as they have info on clubs in different areas. Then you could contact a member and find out what's offered/required in terms of training.  For agility clubs go onto agilitynet - they also have a section on clubs. Good luck!  You're bound to have lots of fun whatever activity you choose.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Sula

• Raisin
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 09:28:25 AM »
I have no knowledge of any specific classes but at the Kennel Club they have a page that you can chose the type of class that you want and then location. Here is the link.

http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/services/public/findaclub/training/Default.aspx

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 09:34:28 AM »
The website Agility Net has a list of agility clubs. You can do a postcode search to see if there are any near you http://www.agilitynet.com/ Click on the clubs link at the top of the home page.

Offline jak3

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 06:12:32 PM »
Thanks everyone, wasn't sure if he was to young to start agility ( just coming up for 10months) but he has a wee go on some of the equipment like the weaving and jumps and he picked it up first time wouldn't go throu the tunnel thou but thing will look into some agility classes cos he seemed to pick it up quite well!

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 07:29:37 PM »
He shouldn't be weaving or doing much jumping until he's a year old.  Some clubs offer foundation training for younger pups.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline jak3

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 10:02:39 PM »
It was just at a dog day out event where they had a give it a go agility ring to try it out so it was only one go he had sround a small course he won't be doing any proper training in the sport until he is a year old just showed me that he would take to it when the time came, don't know a great deal about it but had thought that he had to be a year old, he is in obedience classes so is prob better to work on that until he is old enough for agility, thanks everyone for the advice!

Offline mollydubh

• The beautiful Molly Dubh
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 03:57:46 PM »
Agility is a great way of bonding with your dog, in club that i attend we do a lot of silent agility, the dog follow hand movements and body language, sometimes its not so silent tho  :005: within our club no dog can do any form of agility until they are over 18 months old, i would definitely recommend trying it as its great craic and also a great way to meet new people with similar interests.
i strive to be person that my dog thinks i am.....