Author Topic: Agility - What have I missed?!  (Read 2185 times)

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
Agility - What have I missed?!
« on: October 27, 2012, 09:06:38 PM »
Hi,

Its been a long time since I posted in this topic.  :005: Rewind three years and I was going to agility shows throughout the year with the cockers and Mum's little dog Zara, and previous to that with lovely old girl Penny.  :luv: Penny got to advanced (grade 7), got to Crufts and Olympia, was a real star - we had great fun but she was one in a million and can't see me ever getting to those levels again. I stopped agility training when I was expecting Jasmine (my little girl) and have said that it'd be nice to start again at a lower level as I think Jasmine (2yrs old but loves helping with the dogs!) would love a little go and also Ruby the Jack Russel was, well, made for it!  :005: :luv: I had started making enquiries but not pursued any until yesterday...

I had a call from a friend saying that the leader of a very small agility group was finishing and would it be something I'd think about helping with. Before I phone her back, I'd really love to know what I've missed in the three years, what might have changed etc.

I think its too much for me to comit to every week with a toddler but I would quite like to maybe it'd be nice to come along and help out giving them some direction and get my dogs trained up again but I just feel so out of touch!!  ph34r :005:

Sorry for the long post!!  ph34r

Holly

Offline Emilyoliver

Re: Agility - What have I missed?!
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 09:27:24 PM »
Am new to agility and competing so can't say what's changed in 3 years. But I do know clubs are always short of people to help at shows, so maybe you could start with that. Then you'd be able to see what's changed and you wouldn't have to commit to specific hours every week. And you could ease into it now whole it's winter.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline jla

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 11:26:37 AM »
Jump heights and grade changes really, oh and rubberised contact equipment.  Can't remember exactly when all that came in but sure some of it was the last three years.

Other than that - not a lot has changed  ;)

Offline hollyd443

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 08:02:06 PM »
Thats great thanks! We went along last weekend to meet the group. They're a really nice bunch. Jasmine (toddler) was like a limpet when I first got there but came out of her shell and was cheering on the dogs  :luv: She's looking forward to having a go with her dogs. We're hoping to go to their next class, in a fortnights time! Just hope me and my dogs remember what to do  ph34r :005:

Offline Millie12

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 08:44:38 PM »
ooo sounds very exiting, once you find something you love it is always great to go back and have a go again when circumstance means you have to stop or cant do it like you used to, im the same with horse riding however its pretty expensive and time consuming to get back into. How old are dogs when you can start agility with them? just for future reference sounds exiting  xx

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 10:47:55 AM »
I'm sure you'll be fine Holly.
I've found peoples view on handling have changed.
A few years back we were told never to take your eye off the dog, now we seem to be running more like they do abroad & putting blind crosses etc in & fancy things like keishner turns (well some of the more advanced do  :005:)

I look forward to seeing Jasmine in the young handlers classes soon  ;)
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline dianna1

• http://picasaweb.google.com/sosNron
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 02:12:01 PM »
wow what are blind crosses and keishner turns?   There's me thinking it was jump, up and over with a bit of fancy weaving.

Offline JohnW

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 07:01:13 PM »
wow what are blind crosses and keishner turns?  There's me thinking it was jump, up and over with a bit of fancy weaving.

If it were only that easy as a few jumps up and overs  :005:

Its actually called a ketschker turn which is used chiefly in Europe, refers to a combination movement that begins with a front cross and resolves into a blind cross. Although we are catching up in this country now. I am training with Dianne Talbot she is seen as one of the best trainers in the UK, she is now teaching us quite technical moves like this aswell as blind cross and blind flick flacks etc. When running blind you are not actually watching the dog its more down to securing the training and handling of the dog and trust him/her to do it when it comes to competing. Risky but if your dog and training is rock solid fantastic to get right and great for the spectator to watch.

Don't think anyone mentioned weaves have been altered too Holly the gaps between weaves have been increased. And training methods are advancing all the time as I am sure you will probably see for yourself  ;)

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 09:34:10 PM »
Thought I may have spelt it wrong  ph34r  should have knows as friends refer to it as a ketchup - I prefer a pass ass  :005:

Oh yes forgot about the weave spacings, although mine haven't noticed, also the contact equipment surface - this can vary now but the rule is (I think) that at a show it all has to be the same surface
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline aljeana

• Mollie Magpie
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 10:36:37 PM »
I also think the views on training weaves and Contacts has altered quite a bit over the last few years we are very much moving towards all heights doing running contacts with a variety of methods being used to teach them.

Weave training ideas again there is now the addition of 2x2 weave training but it is not used much in a club environment.

There are loads of good DVD's out now to enable people to choose different methods to suit them best

Good luck sure you will be fine
Aljeana & the Baddley Pack

Offline JohnW

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 10:01:04 PM »
here is a link to a youtube of the ketschker turn to show you first hand how it works... as trying to explain can be difficult ... hope this is link work to youtube as a vey nice video of how this turn can be used ....  www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwNSUczy7yo