Author Topic: UPDATE ON CHARLIE Nervously waiting for urine results.  (Read 3057 times)

Offline Suzyrus

UPDATE ON CHARLIE Nervously waiting for urine results.
« on: August 22, 2020, 08:23:24 AM »
Charlie my 11 year old year cocker a week ago started drinking more water than normal and needing to go out for a wee more regular. He’s always been able to hold a wee for hours. Especially if it’s raining, he would never step foot outside. Then 4 days ago he started needing to go out during the night. Then coming in and drinking a whole bowl of water. However in himself he’s absolutely fine. Going on his walks. Still being his usual naughty self in the evenings.
Still we knew something wasn’t right so took him to the vets yesterday. Vet is concerned as his neck glands are very swollen. She wanted a urine test asap. We are now waiting nervously for the results. I fear the worse. But also reassured that Charlie is in no pain and happy in himself. Has anyone else experienced this with their cockers please 😁

Offline ejp

• Donator
Re: Nervously waiting for urine results
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2020, 10:18:37 AM »
Hello, Daisy has had a couple of urine infections and they have been tricky to shift.  Not had any issues with swollen glands though.  I have no knowledge of that.  Waiting on test results is very difficult, and you will, naturally, be very worried.  Sorry I can't be of more help.  Please let us know how he gets on. 

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2020, 11:56:28 AM »
No experience of this thankfully, but it must be a very nervy time waiting.

Sending you some  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: hoping they help.  Keep us posted.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2020, 12:04:31 PM »
Its awful having to wait for loads of stuff - hopefully its just a simple urine infection
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Suzyrus

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2020, 06:58:36 AM »
Update On Charlie.
His urine sample came back clear. Vets now want to do blood tests. The difficult decision is tho is that the vet wants us to take him in 8.30am. Hand him over in the car park. And then they will phone us sometime in the afternoon to collect him. Charlie will hate this. It will totally stress him out. He also needs to drink every hour and he’s weeing every few hours. He’s still going for his 2 walks a day and he’s happy in himself although yesterday he struggled to eat his dry food. This morning he’s just had some scrambled egg. In my heart I know we are losing him. I just want him to be happy. I can’t bear to think of him in the vets on his own. But then a small part of part thinks what if there is some pill that can make him better. We are going to speak to the vet again this morning and ask if we could just bring him in, have the blood test then take him straight home x

Offline Emilyoliver

Re: UPDATE ON CHARLIE Nervously waiting for urine results.
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2020, 09:44:22 AM »
Hi Suzyrus,

What did they test the urine for?  Did it include diabetes?
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2020, 10:02:19 AM »
What an awful predicament to be in, I can understand you completely! The only thing I could suggest is appealing to the vet once again to try and find a compromise for you that will relieve some of the stress for Charlie.
Best of luck, hope you can find a solution!  :bigarmhug:

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2020, 10:12:25 AM »
I too can fully understand your concern over Charlie , my Ollie is nearly 13 and last year had to be left for an operation ( in at 8am and home at 3pm)  I will never forget a groggy cocker with plastic bucket pulling towards me when I picked him up.  He is my velcro cocker and never left with anyone except MIL or my friend who clips him.  For me the thought of last year and leaving him again would be too much but....

In July he went for his yearly check up...and yes it was hand him over and then they would bring him out......he looked horrified but off he went and I stayed outside in the car 10 mins latter out he trotted and back in the car.....just happy to be going home....I am sure Charlie will soon forget when he is back with you :luv:

Best to get him sorted and keep strong.

Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Suzyrus

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2020, 02:53:47 PM »
Hi. Yes they tested for diabetes. We have decided not to take Charlie for the blood test. After speaking to the vets again it would mean that Charlie would have a local anaesthetic because the would need to to do a blood test in his lymph nodes in his neck. We are not prepared to put Charlie through this. It’s not been a easy decision
However Charlie is still happy. Managing 2 small walks a day. We are enjoying him every minute of the day. Thankfully I only work part time and my husband is still on furlough. We have just booked a cottage in 2 weeks by the sea. Charlie’s favourite is the beach. Thank you for all for your comments 😁

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2020, 04:57:21 PM »
Suzyrus......my heart aches for you - as I am sure so many of us here on Cockers Online have made choices like yours....I know I have and I would not put Ollie through the test you mention having seen my beloved Jay go through it.  I have always regretted it - sometimes you realize that clutching at straws is for you and not for them.

Do make every day a special day and as you say Charlie is enjoying his walks and also taking him to the beach for a holiday, take care and give Charlie a big hug from me.

We are here if you need support.

Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2020, 05:46:00 PM »
Coming in late on this, but would say I agree that you have to do what you feel best for Charlie.  :luv: :luv:

Wishing you all the best and hope you all have a lovely time at the sea - whereabouts are you heading?

Sending some  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: for you all.
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2020, 02:19:38 PM »
You know Charlie best. Do what you feel is right for him. Trust your own instincts and make the most of what you have now.  Charlie is loved and cared for and you will make the right decision for him. Take care.

Offline woodlander

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2020, 07:31:50 PM »
It’s so difficult to know what to do for the best - hugs to you & Charlie.  I fear we will be facing similar decisions with our 13 year old Sweep in the not too distant future 🙁