Author Topic: a bit overweight  (Read 646 times)

Offline sarahm2008

a bit overweight
« on: February 14, 2013, 03:40:32 PM »
Sandon has been to the vets and we have been told he is a bit overweight! he is 14kg and I gather he should be closer to about 10-12kg for his frame. I have cut his food down a bit but he seems permanently ravenous so im wondering firstly if I should change him to adult wainwrights as im thinking it may have fewer calories in it? Also Im on the hunt for lots of different low calories treats as we are still doing lots of training.
any ideas other than carrots?!

Offline SophieBlueRoanLover

• Sophie Carr Photography
Re: a bit overweight
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 03:47:35 PM »
Have you tried using small pieces of high value treats such as cheese or frankfurter? I know that they're not low in calories, but in small pieces they might still help with the training. I've always found that Henry's interest is much better if the treat is a good one (even if it's tiny) - the smell and taste of a tiny piece of frankfurter is way more important to him than a larger liver-flavoured training treat, for example.

I moved Henry on to adult food at 7 months, as he was castrated. I think puppy food could be too rich for a 9-month-old dog.

Offline jaybee

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 05:38:43 PM »
Agree with Sophie re the treats. Bingley got a bit lardy at one stage, we cut down on the size and type of treats. Tiny slithers of Frankfurter were his favourite. I used to boil chicken and shred it to small pieces for training sessions. I give him carrots to munch on at home, keeps him occupied for a while and he loves it.

What is his exercise routine like?

"No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich."

Offline sarahm2008

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 06:08:00 PM »
thankyou, his exercise routine is generally 20 min walk in the morning first thing, good 30-45 min walk at lunch and 20 mins in the evening...is this enough do you think?

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 07:57:39 PM »
I'd be tempted to see how he gets on with reducing his treats as others have suggested, however, he's still a puppy and growing!
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)