Author Topic: What a disaster!!  (Read 2461 times)

Offline lynnruby

• Donator
  • Ruby
What a disaster!!
« on: July 03, 2013, 02:38:20 PM »
............and probably my own fault!  I posted a couple of months ago about not being happy with Ruby's "do" and asked for advice about grooming equipment and if I should have a go myself  :shades: She hates me even brushing her.

I got some great advice re tables, clippers etc (thanks for all your advice  :luv:) .......... but for one reason or another I didn't get around to buying the equipment  ph34r

So, she has been back to the same groomer this morning.  She clearly loves the groomer and was very excited when she arrived  :banana:  I explained exactly how I wanted Ruby to be groomed.

Arrived back to collect Ruby (2 hours later) only to be told that Ruby had snapped at her twice  :o  she then went on to explain that she had "nicked her with the scissors"  and then "nicked her with the clippers"   :huh: :huh: for which she apologised.......

Ruby was very stressed and I was almost in tears  :'(  So I paid the groomer, put Ruby in the car and came home.  Now that I have had a proper look at Ruby, the groomer has done almost the exact opposite of what I asked her to do  >:D

So, it's either time to invest in some grooming equipment...........or find another groomer!!  I'm going to have a go at tidying her up a bit myself, but I think she's been through enough for one day  :luv:

Lynn

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
Re: What a disaster!!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 02:49:53 PM »
Poor Ruby, what a shame :'(

Are you any where near Selly Oak? The groomer I used to use has moved there - she is lovely, pearl loves her and Norma always does a fab job x

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 02:50:42 PM »
Poor Ruby, no wonder she snapped!  :o Hope you are feeling ok now.

Offline BeeBoo

• Buckley
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 02:58:05 PM »
Sorry to read this Lynn....a couple of hugs for both Ruby  :luv: (who's rather beautiful no matter what the cut) & you  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Being the cheapskate that I am, I still don't own a grooming table so the poor lad has to make do with the kitchen table :lol2: of course he doesn't always stand when I want him to, but it's a raised surface and with a towel up it does just fine. So I wouldn't worry about a grooming table so much right now ~ if you plan to groom Ruby yourself, little steps first & you can purchase a grooming table in future when you're both more confident with home grooming?
Just a thought :)

If you do want to groom her yourself, I would start off doing little bursts a few times a day - as I have done (& am still doing with Buckley - being almost 9 months he still likes to wriggle and make it hard for his Mum!) - this could be 5 mins brushing in the morning around breakfast time, and a few seconds getting her used to you putting clippers/scissors on her body with lots of treats for each acceptance? The same for lunchtime, the same for the evening - build up from seconds to minutes with her accepting the feel of the clippers or scissors, you don't have to actually cut her coat but just associate the sensation with treats till the time comes where you can start to cut her coat?

For Buckley I stuff a Kong & freeze it if I'm going to strip or cut his coat - sometimes he does like to ''argue'' but I just put it down to his age and persevere....the last time I gave him a proper cut I had to do it 2 days apart, and kindly ask my Mum told hold onto the frozen Kong/keep him occupied whilst I did my work. He accepted 2hrs one day, and 1hr the next (which I did on my own, Mum not with us).

If you decide not to home-groom but have someone else groom her - how about looking for a nice lady to visit your house so you can be present when Ruby is cut? Perhaps the experience of having Mum with her, and being at home would be of benefit to Ruby? :)
If you take her to a groomer's salon you could leave the lady with some photos of the cut you're after?

Good luck...and lots of love to Miss Roobs  :luv: :luv: :luv:

Offline lynnruby

• Donator
  • Ruby
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 03:06:53 PM »
Poor Ruby, what a shame :'(

Are you any where near Selly Oak? The groomer I used to use has moved there - she is lovely, pearl loves her and Norma always does a fab job x

Unfortunately not Jayne, we are in Cumbria.  I THINK I might have found another groomer not too far away.  Failing that, our friends (who live about 70 miles away) have recommended the groomer they use.

Poor Ruby, no wonder she snapped!  :o Hope you are feeling ok now.

If I'm being honest Jane, I still feel a bit tearful  :'(  Ruby has a cut under her back right leg and an abrasion under her left armpit  >:(
Lynn

Offline Jane57

• Donator
  • Riley
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 03:09:49 PM »
Can totally understand  you feeling like this Lynn, I would be the same.
Im in South Tyneside so a bit far for you, there are lots of good groomers in this area.

Do you ever see anyone out and about with cockers you could ask them where they have them done? if you like the look of them that is.
Poor little Ruby, hope you feel better soon too.

Offline Lee

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 03:21:01 PM »
Hi Lynn, Im sorry that you have had a bad experience for the second time >:D Have you thought of looking for breeders near and around you? They may offer grooming or at least have recommendations for groomer/breeders who groom? I have to travel 154 mile round trip to have my dog stripped and trimmed, he is show type and we do show, im currently in the process of learning all the correct hand stripping and trimming techniques for the show ring, lm fortunate to have a groomer well respected within the breed who is happy to help me out. Good Luck with finding a groomer, hopefully someone on here will be along with a firm reccomendation ;)

Offline lynnruby

• Donator
  • Ruby
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 03:28:04 PM »
Thanks Jane  :luv:  The only other cockers we see around here are workers with very fine coats.  Most dogs we meet are Labs, Springers and JRT's.  Ruby has a very dense, wooly, but long coat IYSWIM?  When she is in full coat, people think she looks like a teddy bear  :005:
Lynn

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 03:38:39 PM »
Thanks Jane  :luv:  The only other cockers we see around here are workers with very fine coats.  Most dogs we meet are Labs, Springers and JRT's.  Ruby has a very dense, wooly, but long coat IYSWIM?  When she is in full coat, people think she looks like a teddy bear  :005:

how do you want her cut?  I'm just wondering if we could maybe post some beginner  videos on YouTube  to help you do her yourself.
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 03:43:25 PM »
Hope you are both okay Lynn  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: and poor Rubes.

Whichever way you go, you need to do it in short bursts until the horrible experience is replaced by pleasant ones.

I tidy Jinley up on the breakfast bar first putting down a large rubber bath mat and a towel over the top so she doesnt slip.  She 'tolerates' it but doesnt much care for it.   >:( >:(  For an amateur like me, I have found thinning scissors the kindest and less obvious that I have made a mess, to use  ph34r ph34r

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2013, 03:45:11 PM »
Just wondered also, whether you have a coat king?

Offline lynnruby

• Donator
  • Ruby
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2013, 04:19:48 PM »
Thanks Emma, she has a very dense, wooly coat and the only way we can manage this is to have her clipped (torso) so I asked the groomer to clip the torso (longest blade) trim her legs, leaving back feathers and trim her feet (but not make her look like a poodle as she did the last time!)

Last time, her ears were cut really short  >:(  so I asked her to leave them this time.............but she has cut her ears!!

I am so slow at typing  ph34r.........thanks Melissa, Lee & Pat for your replies  :luv: :luv:  I do have a coat king Pat, which is useful...... but not enough for the "Wooly Mammoth of Cumbria"  :005: :005:
Lynn

Offline helenb14

• Donator
  • Seve
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2013, 07:12:04 PM »
Rubes  :luv:  :luv: I is sending big kisses as I hear you is looking a bit sad after the groomers. It is not so bad if your mumm ee gives you a cut as I gets cheese. I thinks you is boot ee ful anyway  :luv: :luv:
Kisses Seve xx

Offline lynnruby

• Donator
  • Ruby
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2013, 07:53:37 PM »
Aww fanks Seve  :luv:  I did not meen too snap at gwoomy (butchery) laydee  :embarassed: but she did urt mee  >:( >:(  I iz feelin a bit betta now.

Wile Mummi woz waytin to klect me fwom butchery laydee, she went an bort me a nu furry bed  :D :D  I luvs mi furry bed  :cool4:

Luv Rubes x
Lynn

Offline Sarah/G

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2013, 10:17:22 AM »
Poor little soul, and you Lynn.
I tell you what, I would snap if someone nicked me with scissors too, bless her.

Sorry I can't help regards to a groomer, as I do Brodie myself, luckily he has quite a sleek coat, with fluffy Ugg boots for legs.

Hope you find a good groomer soon.  :luv:
Sarah & Brodie.

www.whatthewoof.co.uk       "Now live"