Author Topic: How much to cut off or leave  (Read 1072 times)

Offline Westward

• Tessa 04/04/13
How much to cut off or leave
« on: October 01, 2013, 07:57:41 AM »
Tessa is off to groomers again today. She's very hairy, about 2/3 inches on legs.  Thing is I'm not confident to groom her myself and I know it will grow back.  Do I go for a shorter look or let look like a mammoth. Glad of advice
Tessa 

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: How much to cut off or leave
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 08:26:14 AM »
Is your groomer hand stripping, scissoring or clipping? Whichever she is doing will make a difference to the finished look. When you arrive please make sure you have a good talk with the groomer so you can decide what you want done and that the groomer knows too, as some  groomers seem to think that all Cockers should be fully clipped and have no feathering at all. If that's what you decide, that's fine. But if you want something different you need to make it clear to the groomer. If you can find a picture of a Cocker looking how you want Tessa to look you could take that with you.

Something else to consider is that it's the first time for Tessa with a groomer and you want it to be a pleasant experience and not too long or stressful. So you might just want her to have a bath and a tidy up of paws, legs, ears and top knot. Is she used to being combed and detangled by you regularly? If not, the whole process will take longer anyway and may be more stressful. A good groomer will listen to what you want, or guide you if you're not sure, but will also want to keep Tessa happy and calm.

Hope it goes well and you have some nice photos to post later :D

Offline Westward

• Tessa 04/04/13
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 08:42:42 AM »
It's her second time. Last time was a Get to know you session with a wash/ brush up and coat king on her back.  Debbie groomer will do what I ask, which I appreciate. Tessa isn't moulting yet (when does this start).

Thing is I like her shaggy look, but with me being a novice cocker owner,  I'll look through the photos on here like you advise to find the look I like.

Like being at the hairdressers!
Tessa 

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 08:47:24 AM »
It's her second time. Last time was a Get to know you session with a wash/ brush up and coat king on her back.  Debbie groomer will do what I ask, which I appreciate. Tessa isn't moulting yet (when does this start).

Thing is I like her shaggy look, but with me being a novice cocker owner,  I'll look through the photos on here like you advise to find the look I like.

Like being at the hairdressers!

Sorry, I managed to miss the "again" in your first post! Tessa could start losing her puppy coat and getting her adult coat any time in the next few months.

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 09:44:02 AM »
The 2nd time I took Charlie to the groomers, I had printed photos of what I wanted him to look like :)
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline Westward

• Tessa 04/04/13
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 01:36:01 PM »
Here she is. 

A lot tidier
Tessa 

Offline lesley3165

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 01:44:26 PM »
We've just had Meg super groomed. We have gone from woolly mammoth to sleek and beautiful . I can't tell you how nervous I was but I love her new look. It is so easy to manage particularly now it is raining more.

Offline Westward

• Tessa 04/04/13
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 05:34:17 PM »
She's still a but hairy. I was a bit reticent to go too short in case she looked silly.  But then again, it will grow back, so maybe next time I will be braver. :-)
Tessa