Author Topic: A couple of RAW questions  (Read 875 times)

Offline fiona2

• Donator
A couple of RAW questions
« on: January 30, 2014, 01:33:35 PM »
The first being can I feed pork chops?

The second do you need to feed fruit and veg or can the diet be meat only?

Thank you in advance

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
Re: A couple of RAW questions
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 01:47:57 PM »
You can feed pork raw to dogs.  Many people don't because of the risk of worms but this can be virtually eliminated by feezing the pork for two weeks  before defrosting and feeding it.

Veg/fruit is up to you.  There are different schools of thought on this.  Some say it should be up to 30 percent of the diet, whereas others say you can leave it out altogether.  I stick roughly to guidelines on the amount of bone, offal, muscle meat etc to feed but just lob in leftover cooked veg when we have it or occasionally buy the frozen pre-mushed veg cubes you can get and give them a couple of those from time to time.

Offline Patp

• Donator
  • Jinley
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 01:58:59 PM »
Hi

I am another one that doesnt bother with the veg, although she loves peas in pods which I get every couple of weeks or so.  Jinley will very rarely be interested in veg, but I do find her nibbling on fresh grass or roots occasionally.

Offline JeffD

• TEAL
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 10:10:17 PM »
Teal gets our left over veg, very little potato.
Sprouts and cauliflower are off the menu they may be good for her but the nerve gas omitted after eating is not good for me, Teal also enjoys pears and other fruits.
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly

Offline dipsydoodlenoodle

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 10:18:02 PM »
Fruit and veg is personal choice.

Charlie gets cooked veg once a week (Sunday dinner)  :005:

He's not interested in raw veg, lots of people feed carrot sticks
My beautiful little boy Charlie :)

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 10:34:42 PM »
Pork from UK reared pigs doesn't carry a risk of worms nowadays, although it used to, which is one reason why so many people still believe that pork for human consumption needs to be well cooked. There also used to be something called Pseudorabies, which was transferable from pigs to other species including dogs, but the UK was declared free of it many years ago.

I don't feed much raw pork because William and Louis find it a bit rich. Occasionally they have pork mince or chunks as part of a meal, but I never give them a full meal of it. I'd be worried about pork chops because the bones have been sawn through by the butcher and may have sharp edges, but that might be a bit of excess worrying on my part.

Some raw feeders add veg., and some don't. I tend to feed blitzed raw veg. and fruit (no onion and no raw potato) as about 10 to 20% of most meals. I think although dogs don't digest cellulose well they still get useful nutrients from blitzed raw veggies.

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 11:10:44 PM »
Pork chops are fine.  Coco has pork in various forms - just remove excess fat before feeding.

I usually do freeze it first though  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline fiona2

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 02:41:10 PM »
Thanks guys still feeling the way with this RAW feeding but its worth it

Offline JamiesGirl

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 02:50:44 PM »
i don't feed 100% raw but Jamie does get some raw lamb chops every now and then. he loves veg though and i often mix it in with his kibble. things like; carrot, peas, cauliflower he loves and fruit he gets is; banana, blueberries and he gets natural yoghurt too.
🐾 Jamie's Girl - Sara 🐾