Author Topic: Going for a walk  (Read 427 times)

Offline wayo47

Going for a walk
« on: February 18, 2014, 09:00:01 PM »
Hi all
Harri is 15 weeks old, was just wondering does anyone else have trouble getting their pups out for a walk? Harri pulls at first to go back to the house but when we get round the corner out of view he is ok! Thought Cockers loved their walks!!!! Or will he grow out of this! When it is time to go home he can't get to our front door quick enough?!!!
 >:(

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
Re: Going for a walk
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 09:24:34 PM »
Cockers do love their walks, but at 15 weeks Harri is probably a bit scared by all the new sights and sounds. Have you tried taking some treats with you and encouraging him. Cars, people and general noise can all be frightening to the little soul. Minstrel was spooked by all sorts of things to start with but I think his general nosiness and curiosity helped his confidence.

As you say he will  grow out of it - just take it steady and don't try to push him  ;)
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Archie bean

• Donator
  • Archie. RIP bridge babies Sherwood and Dickon.
    • Emma Graham Harpist
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 09:43:56 PM »
My last. Coker HATED going for walks. I wish COL had been around then. I thought there was something seriously wrong with him. Every book I read said "your puppy will live going for his walks". I had taken him out carrying him and he had seemed fine but on foot he just dug his paws in and refused to budge. He didn't seem nervous, he just wouldn't move. It took several months but eventually he grew to love it. One thing that helped a lot was taking him out with my Dad's dog, who he adored.

Offline JennyBee

• Princess Brodie
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 11:09:50 PM »
My girl is now almost six and still hates her walks (that's wrong - she loves them: as long as they are very short and heading in the direction she wants to go in :005:). If her head goes down and she digs her claws into the ground I have no chance at getting her to go :P

I think it's quite common for young pups, and most outgrow it. Just let him take his time, and try and make his walks as fun as possible. Lots of treats and games. You may find walking with an older, more confident dog helps, if you know someone with one you can walk with.

x In memory of Barney x