Author Topic: When to start grooming a working cocker?  (Read 5191 times)

Offline Charlie Pup

• Donator
  • Working Cocker Charlie
When to start grooming a working cocker?
« on: March 12, 2014, 12:57:18 PM »
I am slightly confused when to start grooming a working cocker.

Charlie is 6 months, with a sleek coat slowly getting feathery but fairly short and still puppy fur.  The hair between is toes are growing and I am not really sure when nails need clipping.

Also, his fur gets a little greasy, he's not smelly and has only had one bath because he got plastered in mud a few weeks back, is this not enough?

He is currently having zoomies because I have just done his ear drops to clean his ears   :005: :005:

Offline Fluff

• Donator
  • Daisy the whirling dervish
Re: When to start grooming a working cocker?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 01:19:40 PM »
Aww he looks like my Daisy. We clipped her a few weeks ago as her fur was getting quite long and it was taking her ages to dry off after her muddy walks  :005: So that would have been at 9 months. Her legs are still a bit fluffy  :005:

Before:

After:

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 01:29:48 PM »
Up to you totally  ;)

I started grooming my puppy at about 9 weeks as I like to ensure all my dogs are used to being groomed and handled (he lives with 2 show types who are trimmed every two weeks, so he gets done when they do).  I trim his feet as like them tidy, but many like them hairy.  Personal preference.  Pip gets a thorough brushing, comb through ears, feathers, feet trim and nail trim every two weeks.  And he loves it.  He is unneutered and light gold, and has fine close coat so won't be clipped.  He's bathed every few weeks along with my others.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Charlie Pup

• Donator
  • Working Cocker Charlie
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 01:41:54 PM »
He's looks like Daisy's younger brother  :D

Fluff when do you trim her nails and do you do it at home or vets, he's so wriggly I'd be frightened of hurting him

Offline Fluff

• Donator
  • Daisy the whirling dervish
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 01:51:50 PM »
I haven't properly trimmed them yet, I've used a nail file to file them down a small bit but hers aren't too bad. Like you I'm too scared to properly clip them, especially as it's so hard to see where the quick is and Daisy is also a wriggly thing!

Offline aljeana

• Mollie Magpie
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 10:28:09 PM »

Jaz is 6 months old Orange & white worker has just started to get her leg featherings but her back coat is quite short.

I have trimmed under her feet & just the wispy bits off the bottom of her ears as the hair on her ears has not grown much at all, I have trimmed her nails a few times but apart from that nothing else to do.

I do put her through the grooming brushing & combing her at least once a week so that she is used to being on the table & what it is all about just incase in time her coat requires more maintenance.
Aljeana & the Baddley Pack

Offline Betti

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 05:59:47 PM »
We started at about 11 months  she was fine up till then , but after spaying it was a necessary evil . She now goes to the groomers ( she's almost 2 now) about every 3/ 4 months but mainly as she has grown big teddy bear feet which she can bring about a ton of mud into the house with . Apart from her feet she has a general tidy up leaving her feathering and shaggy ears which they just tidy up for me leaving her tidy but still looking like a cocker .