Author Topic: Judging  (Read 4316 times)

Offline darcyboy

Judging
« on: December 21, 2015, 10:11:23 PM »
Just wondered if I cold get some advice on how to start judging. I have already judged a match at my local ringcraft. Have looked on the kennel club website but couldn't see anything regarding starting out it was more so about judging at higher levels. Just wondered what I need to do before i can judge a couple of classes at a Limit or Open Show?

Offline Brimbeck(Dyllan)

• Donator
Re: Judging
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 05:11:44 PM »
This year after seven or so years of showing I have judged my first two opens shows, before doing so I passed the judging seminars, including 2 breed seminars. (where these take place is shown on the KC website I believe) I then got in touch with the breed council and Cocker club to see if I had their support to be added to their C list. Then it was a case of waiting to be asked by a club.

I hope this helps
Sarah

Sarah Dyllan Tyke and Lance

www.brimbeck.co.uk

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Re: Judging
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 08:50:18 AM »
The path to judging is much more formal than it once was - you used to just get asked by show committees after achieving some success in the show ring with your dogs but nowadays you do have to do the formal education side (attending seminars & passing assessments) and apply to join the various judging lists (C list is the first rung of the ladder) as well as attaining some success with your dog/s. Judging Lists are administered by the Cocker Breed Council and the Cocker Club (they each run their separate lists) so you would apply to both:

http://www.cockerspaniel-info.org.uk/judging_criteria.htm

http://www.thecockerspanielclub.co.uk/judginglists_criteria.htm

My advice is don't be in too much of a rush to get into judging - it took 10 years before I was asked to judge a few classes at an Open Show (we had bred several successful dogs by then). It can of course happen quicker than this if you are known to open show committee members or perhaps serve on a breed club committee (so you might like to volunteer to your nearest breed club as many clubs would welcome new keen committee members prepared to work hard) Also look out for seminars to attend so you can start on this side of the process - the compulsory seminars include Rules and Regulations, Conformation and Movement and a Breed Specific seminar
Jane