Author Topic: Should I change insurers?  (Read 3537 times)

Offline siam

• Site Member
Should I change insurers?
« on: February 18, 2016, 07:26:30 PM »
Alfie was initially insured with Tesco for a relatively low premium when he was a puppy and unfortunately I didn’t realise that he did not have lifetime cover. Unfortunately he has skin allergies which manifested in his first year and the limit for payment for conditions was reached in the same period of time. Consequently his skin allergies are now not covered by his current insurers John Lewis or any future insurers so we now pay £32 per month for Apoquel for 7 months of the year on top of the insurance premium. Alfie is now 6 years 4 months and I’ve just received his renewal from John Lewis. It has gone up to £52 from £38. I get the impression on the COL forum  that the premium goes up whether you have a lot of claims or not. We made a reasonably sized claim towards the end of last year due to a gastric infection Alfie had and recurred in a short space of time when samples were sent to the labs for testing so not sure if that has any bearing on the new premium. I have done some comparisons with other insurance companies and several are coming up at mid £30 for similar cover to what we have with John Lewis. I’m wondering if the lower quote is to suck me in and next year it may increase substantially and if so is it as well to stay with our current insurers? Am I right in thinking insurers won’t take on dogs for the first time if they are 7 yrs and upward?

Offline PennyB

Re: Should I change insurers?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 06:34:13 PM »
Morethan did the same re low quote then hiked it up but to be honest its a good policy (others have done the same)

I pay £51 for an 11 year old cocker (so would be less for a younger one under 10 years old) and it includes dental treatment and when I claim I pay one excess and not an excess for each new illness/incident + its £12,000 cover

A lot of insurance has gone up anyway as the government hiked up the insurance tax so blame them as well ;)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 06:37:22 PM »
more than insured my staffie at the age of 11 for the first time.
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline PennyB

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 11:59:14 AM »
more than insured my staffie at the age of 11 for the first time.

They seem to be good with oldies and provide for life cover (petplan would only let me have per 12 months cover for her when I tried them when she was 9) - this cover has been brilliant for her if you think I would pay the same for another policy and not get anywhere near the same cover.
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 09:26:31 PM »
I renewed insurance with Morethan today. I hadn't told them that Bobby had passed away, too upset at the time.   The renewal  for a 9 yr old cocker and 6kg, 4 year old mongrel was £346 for low level of cover and £100 excess.  Remove the cocker, it  dropped it to £120, ie £10 a month!  Cocker would be £226,  Cockers are a high health risk.
My quote last year was through joining Bought by Many, on a promotion mentioned on this forum.
    It amazes me that  the first price was more than my fully comprehensive Landrover freelander insurance with three named drivers!
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline julie1

• Julie & Kez
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 09:13:46 AM »
I to have just changed from John Lewis to Morethan, for the year it is almost £200 cheaper & only £75 instead of £100 if we have to claim, also insured for an extra £1000.   My thoughts were even if this figure is to "suck me in" I will still have saved some.
Kez is also 6 years old but unlike you we have been lucky with illness, nothing major.
regards from Julie & Kez