Author Topic: Learning Agility in Cardiff?  (Read 5801 times)

Offline daisymaedogs

Learning Agility in Cardiff?
« on: April 22, 2016, 12:41:46 PM »
Hi everyone

New member here! I'm the proud parent to a 13 week old working cocker pup :021: and I would love to get involved in agility training with him (obviously once he's old enough). He's bounded quite happily through a few kids play tunnels, and there were some (very low) foam jumps at puppy class which he was bouncing over (7 in a row at one point), so I think it's something he would enjoy.

I'm not having a lot of luck finding information about where you can start to learn agility though, so any advice would be welcomed. Thanks in advance :)

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
Re: Learning Agility in Cardiff?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 01:31:12 PM »
Maxine owned by Max & Harry

Offline EmmaRose

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 08:27:30 PM »
Hi and Welcome COL  :D

Sorry can't offer any advice on clubs in Cardiff but hopefully you can find a club on the site Max X 2 has suggested.  I've only just started official agility training with my two (we're loving it!) but like you did some introduction to the equipment at puppy classes and at home - this really helped as they were confident with the equipment when we started.  The other thing you could start to practice is a solid wait and release.

There are agility trainers that offer specific classes for puppies or 1-2-1's.  Good Luck with your search  :D
Emma, Pippa & Rory x

Offline daisymaedogs

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 01:54:13 PM »
Thanks both! Think I already checked out that website, and there's no-one in Cardiff. There are some in the surrounding area, some of whom I have heard of in relation to other dog training. I would prefer to avoid some of these due to what I have heard about their training methods, so the search continues. At least I have a good while until my pup is old enough to be accepted anywhere.

Is there a difference between stay and wait, by the way?

Offline EmmaRose

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 02:37:18 PM »
No not unless you train them as a different thing, wait is just the word I use (and 'ok' as a release word) its just preference.  Shame that there are clubs out there that use certain methods,  I was told about one club near me that apparently used pet correctors as standard practice to 'control' the dogs when they get excited....  Keep asking around and hopefully you'll find a good trainer soon :D
Emma, Pippa & Rory x

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 10:44:30 PM »
Is there a difference between stay and wait, by the way?
Stay is just that - stay there

Wait is wait until I release you

If you're on facebook join agility & flyball cocker spaniels as someone on there may be able to help - if not, I can post for you

Offline daisymaedogs

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 02:01:57 PM »
Thanks again everyone. I've joined a few Facebook groups and am hopefully on my way. For cocker eye-candy, (and if my first attempt at posting a pic works) this is my bouncy boy Otto:

Ok every time I "preview", the picture doesn't load, so you'll just have to look at my tiny avatar instead.

Offline Max X 2

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 03:37:13 PM »
beautiful  :luv: