Author Topic: orin drinking and weeing  (Read 2350 times)

Offline hblower

• Site Member
orin drinking and weeing
« on: April 18, 2017, 12:31:21 PM »
Orin has in the last couple weeks or so taken to having accidents in his cage at night in the form of wees on his vet bed.  a large puddle not a little dribble.  He has access to freshwater all day both in kitchen and in cage in lounge and when put fresh down he drinks a lot of it at once.  he doesn't seem to drink more I don't think overall although its hard to tell.  He wakes me up to go out as he is shut in his cage but when I elt him out he has already done a puddle.

my question is apparently mum had this with her dog and the vet gave him some drops and it cured it but my other thought was is it diabetes?

any advice would be useful.  I have an app at vets Thursday am

Offline elaine.e

• Sweet William
Re: orin drinking and weeing
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 12:37:07 PM »
It could be something as simple as a UTI, although with that I think you might find he was needing to pee frequently and would be having accidents in the daytime as well as at night. Or he may be slightly incontinent, but so far it's only noticeable at night when he's in his crate and has nowhere else to go. Diabetes is a possibility too, so going to the vet is wise. Has the vet asked you to take a pee sample with you?

Hopefully it's nothing to worry about :blink:

Offline hblower

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 01:36:53 PM »
yes I have said I will bring a wee sample.  He has had a urine infection when he was younger and was staying with the dog sitters but none since.  fingers crossed he was upset last night about going in his cage.

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 10:36:58 PM »
I agree you need to go to the vet on Thursday with the early morning sample.  You may be told it's too dilute to test when they drink too much.     To know how much he's drinking, fill measuring jugs or a fizzy drink bottle with a quota , then tip the leftovers back in so that you calculate how much was drunk.   The vet may mention diabetes insipidus, but this is often a symptom of something else, and doesn't require drugs.  Diabetes mellitis is the one needing insulin.   Is he eating and pooping normally?  I would hope for a general blood test,  urine test and thermometer reading.   I would also crawl out of bed in the night to let him out before he bursts, he must be uncomfortable attempting to hang on.
My springer suffered with this before she was diagnosed with a pancreatic autoimmune disorder but she  had the runs as well.
I hope it's something simple like a UTI,   Wish you well for the appointment. If you're worried, do go sooner.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 10:40:42 PM »
Oh,mic see you are on two threads, I hope you get proper advice on how to proceed fro here.  Poor little Orin xx
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline hblower

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 08:58:57 PM »
Thanks guys we went to the vets Thursday and as you can see he was 3.5 times over what his glucose level should have been.    He also has a urine infection as a result of the diabetes.  we went back Thursday night for more results and they confirmed diabetes and insulin jabs needed.  he went back in Friday am 8:15 for his glucose curve.  we picked him up 6pm Friday night and now have caninsulin, glucogel in case he has a hypo and 100 syringes etc.  he is fed and medicated twice a day and at the moment although he doesn't like needles at all we are managing.  He needs to this week get used to having jabs, having normal walks, feed and insulin twice a day 12 hrs apart and NO titbits of any sorts. so this week is all about consistency.

I have noticed a difference on Saturday in he was a bit more awake and less lethargic.  seems happier.  its a lot to take in and deal with.

If anyone else has diabetes with insulin jabs I be grateful to hear from you!! 

Offline revis

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 05:14:41 PM »
My daughters lab Molly had diabetes and needed insulin jabs. Molly was unaware of the injections. She used to stay with us and we used to do them for her on the back of her neck. Hope all goes well with Orin.

Offline AndyB

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 02:05:45 PM »
Jazz was diagnosed with diabetes in February this year.  He did not have a UTI.  He was 12 on 11th March.  I too am feeding and injecting him twice daily and I also found the prospect very daunting at first but soon got used to it.  The diabetes has proved difficult to get under control and he still has the occasional accident at night.  Fortunately I am at home now so during the day I just keep letting him out regularly for a wee.   My vet does suspect there may be something else going on because the diabetes is proving difficult to get under control.  Some days Jazz is quite lethargic and not keen for a walk but once he gets going he seems to be fine and enjoys himself.  My vet advised that if the dog has any infection it will be difficult to control with the diabetes.  Jazz has conjunctivitis and I have noticed this is worse since he became diabetic.  It mainly affected his right eye but now both eyes seem to be affected.   There has definitely been some improvement over the last couple of weeks and I am really hoping the vet is wrong in his suspicions.  Jazz has lost 3 kg in weight but he is quite a big boy and is now slightly below the breed standard.