Author Topic: Hello from me and George  (Read 3917 times)

Offline prh12

Hello from me and George
« on: July 10, 2017, 02:31:28 PM »
Hi everyone,

I think this forum may help restore my sanity!!!  Our WC George is fantastic and very much loved but boy can he be frustrating... looking through a few of the posts in different areas of the forum it appears as if this quite common with other cockers :o

The only burning issue I have right now is his weight & feeding regime...he is 18 weeks old and I'm trying to find out what his ideal weight range is if anyone can help?

We feed pre-made raw food (Poppy's Picnic, Basil's and Jack Wolf) and I wondered if anyone could tell me how much he should be fed on a daily basis as the feeding guidelines on those websites do have a bit of variance.  One recommends between 10%-8% of body weight whereas another says 6%-5%  >:D

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
Re: Hello from me and George
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 06:07:22 PM »
Hiya and welcome to the fast and insane world of cocker spaniel  ownership ( well they own us)

As for wcs they come in all sizes so food quantities vary. I have no experience on raw feeding but there are alot on here that do. They will be along shortly.
Our Gemma (red working girl) is 6 years old yet only weighs only 9kg. Some pups weigh alot more than that. If your pup looks well covered over his bones then he is going all right
Photos of George would be nice  ;)
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Theo961

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 07:55:17 PM »
Hi and welcome to COL.  :D Pictures of George are a must!  :luv:

It's hard to advise on the food, I have had a quick look and the 3 manufactures food do vary on moisture, protein and fat content so that will probably count for the recommended difference in feeding,  you are probably best to feed accordingly to each manufacturers recommendation.
With Reese now he is older I have learnt by the way he looks if his food needs adjusting, but as a puppy it was impossible!  I could look at him one day and think he was getting a bit chubby then overnight almost he would have a growth spurt and look too skinny!  I don't think it's really anything someone could tell you exactly, it's more knowing your dog, his energy level and finding the right level for him.
I did take him in regularly to the vets when he was young, to help get him used to going but also the nurse would weigh him and advise me on his body condition. I could have easily over fed him without this support as I was used to big chunky Clumbers!  :005:

Offline prh12

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 06:35:01 PM »
Many thanks for the reply guys...that makes me feel a lot better.  We are seeing the vet next Friday so I'll ask them to weigh him and go from there.

As I'm a newbie can someone tell me how to upload pictures...as you can imagine we have a few :D

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 07:21:36 PM »
Many thanks for the reply guys...that makes me feel a lot better.  We are seeing the vet next Friday so I'll ask them to weigh him and go from there.

As I'm a newbie can someone tell me how to upload pictures...as you can imagine we have a few :D

you need to use a host ( most of us use photobucket). if you go go main menu you will find instructions. It can be hard to explain but we will give it a go if you are still stuck. Photobucket keep changing the rules
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline ips

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 07:53:57 PM »
Photobucket is no use now as you have to pay to link a pic.
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 08:16:06 PM »
Hi and welcome to you and George, - looking forward to seeing pictures.
I agree with Theo regarding the food, it is difficult to give an exact amount as they're all built differently and their adult weights can vary enormously. They often  look a bit podgy as pups anyway but will even out as they develop. I didn't start with raw until Humphrey was about 9 months, so I'm not so sure what sort of amounts a puppy would have, (he's now 2 and on about 2.5%), but I think if you roughly follow the guidelines on the packet and keep an eye on his shape, you'll be ok.

Offline Murphys Law

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 11:33:53 PM »

I use PB all the time and have never paid.

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2017, 10:30:47 AM »

Me neither, but just looked and now we do if we want to forward photos elsewhere.  What can we do now  >:D
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline ips

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2017, 10:44:24 AM »

Me neither, but just looked and now we do if we want to forward photos elsewhere.  What can we do now  >:D

They changed there T&C last week, no more free url link and I believe links currently active will gradually be removed so expect pics to start dissapearing
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline prh12

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2017, 05:01:06 PM »

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2017, 05:25:54 PM »
 :luv: :luv: just gorgeous!!!!

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2017, 05:51:04 PM »
Another Ginger ninja  :luv:
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2017, 06:11:44 PM »
What a George-geous boy. Looks to be in fine fettle, too.
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline Theo961

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2017, 06:17:42 PM »
Oh he is just gorgeous!!  :luv: :luv: :luv: