Author Topic: Help please from any groomers out there!  (Read 4655 times)

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
Re: Help please from any groomers out there!
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2017, 05:22:15 PM »
This is Henry fresh from his last grooming (you can click to enlarge). It's growing out very nicely. Smooth and velvety along his body, soft and silky on his feathers.

Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline Holly Berry

• Donator
  • Today I’m going to be a b****r
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2017, 01:10:59 PM »
TBH I think it depends on the coat. I've had a golden and a white with Black and Tan, both of whom kept their silky backs with only their legs getting fluffy. I managed to keep their coats silky with a coat king and thinning scissors.

My blue roan I had to clip right from the start, her coat was like cotton wool. My solid black, I hand stripped upto and for about 18 months after her spay but then had to resort to coat king and thinners. Gradually it too longer and longer to groom her, the last one being 4 hours. In the end I thought who am I doing this for, and it certainly wasn't Ebony. She is now clipped it takes 2 hours to bath, dry and clip her. She's still as beautiful and to be honest she couldn't care less whether she is clipped, she prefers it to 3 hours standing on the grooming table.

It is a shame their coat changes, but many women post menopausal find their hair changes  >:D but having lost 2 Cockers to pyometra and mammary tumours at a young age, I would still spay,but wait until they are have had a least 2 seasons
Rosie Cassie Lucy Poppy and Holly My Angels at the Bridge

Offline chrisp

• Site Member
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2017, 04:10:08 PM »
Hi
As an owner & a groomer of plenty of spade cockers dont give in to clippers just yet I have managed with my own & some of my customers to retain their top coats & featherings without full clip offs.

I would suggest you start now to get her top back coat under control by using a Mars coat king I use a wide toothed one think its 12 teeth along with a finer 25 tooth coat king these a brilliant for easing out the fluffy coat a good tip is to also use when wet so when bathing her apply conditioner & use wide tooth coat king you will be amazed how much of the fluff comes out.

I tend to clip arm pits generally I find its best to clip font legs or use thinning scissors back legs coming down from the top of back either thinning scissors or clip using a comb attachment give wuite a natural finish.  I clip inside back legs & under belly but maintain featherings .

You will not get the lovely dark red shinny top coat but at this stage should be able to get a compromise without full clip off

Thank you for the advice!  Will a coat king damage the fur after a while - have you found this at all?

Offline Guelder Rose

• Donator
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2017, 05:09:50 PM »
I had Grace spayed after her second season as I wanted to be sure that she was fully matured before having this operation - I had read that early spaying was linked to incontinence amongst other things.  Sadly, the breeder advised me that Grace's mum had mammary cancer and was PTS at 9 y/o last year - so I'm glad that Grace was spayed as hopefully this makes her less likely to suffer from this disease (?).  I was trying to master hand stripping, but after spaying her coat did get more fluffy and matted more easily - I clip her quite short across her back and partially down her sides so that she does has length to her coat at the side - I use thinning scissors on her front legs and clippers on the lower portion of her rear legs - I also clip very short on the inside of her ears to aid ventilation and also under her feet.  It's certainly not a professional job, but it works for us and keeps her nice and tidy whilst also having a nice length to her coat.  I really don't like seeing Cockers that are stripped all over, especially when the ears are also stripped :(  Grace is a Blue Roan and I do notice that the white fur grows the same as before being spayed - it is only the black fur that became fluffy and subject to matting??

Offline chrisp

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2017, 11:10:40 AM »
Hi
As an owner & a groomer of plenty of spade cockers dont give in to clippers just yet I have managed with my own & some of my customers to retain their top coats & featherings without full clip offs.

I would suggest you start now to get her top back coat under control by using a Mars coat king I use a wide toothed one think its 12 teeth along with a finer 25 tooth coat king these a brilliant for easing out the fluffy coat a good tip is to also use when wet so when bathing her apply conditioner & use wide tooth coat king you will be amazed how much of the fluff comes out.

I tend to clip arm pits generally I find its best to clip font legs or use thinning scissors back legs coming down from the top of back either thinning scissors or clip using a comb attachment give wuite a natural finish.  I clip inside back legs & under belly but maintain featherings .

You will not get the lovely dark red shinny top coat but at this stage should be able to get a compromise without full clip off

Thank you.