Author Topic: Advice needed looking to change to a cheaper food.  (Read 9511 times)

Offline Theo961

• Donator
Re: Advice needed looking to change to a cheaper food.
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2017, 06:57:37 PM »
It's really hard to say what good to recommend as it really depends on your dog, my last dog did well on orijen, however it made my mum's dog very ill as was far to rich for her. It's really down to researching and feeding what you are happy with but most importantly what suits your dog. Sometimes it's trail and error to find the foods which suit your dog best. Not all grains are the same and some dogs do better on foods with certain grains in and can't tolerate food with a high meat content.  You may have to try a few before you find something that really suits.

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2017, 08:27:52 PM »
Thanks Theo. It's a bit of a minefield out there. I know Orijen is a good food but I know it's more than what I'm currently paying. I think I might try him on a food that's not totally grain free and see how he does. You are right it might me too rich for him.

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2017, 08:53:15 PM »
I feed my working dog a brand that isn't rated as particularly great on that website. However, it gives him the energy required on a day's working, and the 'output' is solid and not excessive. It has maize as a filler. I've tried other supposedly better brands, but they've resulted in him becoming a bit lack lustre and not able to maintain the activity required while working. A recommended brand that has lots of variants and is a decent price is CSJ. Maybe have a look at their website. Lots of working dogs and agility dogs are fed this.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline ips

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2017, 09:10:10 PM »
Funny you should mention that emilyoliver, we struggled to find anything that eze would eat and have solid output. We changed to Arden grange about four months ago and I am not sure if its down to the food but she doesn't seem to have the same stamina. Dogging in starts in two weeks so that will prove a point
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2017, 10:23:25 PM »
Funny you should mention that emilyoliver, we struggled to find anything that eze would eat and have solid output. We changed to Arden grange about four months ago and I am not sure if its down to the food but she doesn't seem to have the same stamina. Dogging in starts in two weeks so that will prove a point
Pip is on Kronch Active. Seems to really suit him. Who knows why. I was told that diff between protein and fat shouldn't be more than 10% for working dogs. Be interesting to see how Eze does in the new food.

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2017, 10:30:15 PM »
Ive sent an email to csj I'll see what the reply is. Hopefully trying something completely different to what I've been feeding him will work.

Offline juju

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2017, 08:07:19 AM »
Izzy is 5 now and I spent the first couple of years finding a food to suit her. I tried several good quality foods, including ready prepared raw foods, but it was difficult keeping weight on her. Eventually I tried Millies Wolfheart which is brilliant. She maintains a steady weight and loves eating it. It costs about £38 for a 12 kg bag which lasts 6 weeks or so. You can phone and speak to a member of staff who will advise on the type of food depending on the activity level of your dog. The delivery arrangements are good and delivery is free. You can order a small amount to try it out. I do agree with others though the what suits one dog may not suit another.

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2017, 09:57:35 AM »
Hi juju that's even more expensive for me. I'm thinking maybe the grain free lamb/pork is too rich for him. I'm thinking about trying him on some blander food and see how it goes.

Offline BonnieScot

• Site Member
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2017, 10:00:43 AM »
Millies is excellent and we chop and change that with chicken thighs (cooked, no bone) and Fish for Dogs and Nature Instincts. I find things get soft sometimes if I've over-fed her rather than the brand.

I'd not put grain back in if you can avoid it. There's no biological reason for them to eat it as far as I can tell.

Offline ips

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2017, 10:10:29 AM »
Pip is on Kronch Active. Seems to really suit him. Who knows why. I was told that diff between protein and fat shouldn't be more than 10% for working dogs. Be interesting to see how Eze does in the new food.

We have been on the AG adult but last week moved onto there performance mix. Its difficult to tell if her current drop of energy level is food related as she had a season couple of months ago and she usually goes a bit weird a couple months after, no physical signs of false pregnancy but tired and clingy and occasional nesting behaviour.
Anyway will update once we get working. 👍

Offline ips

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2017, 10:13:04 AM »
Millies is excellent and we chop and change that with chicken thighs (cooked, no bone) and Fish for Dogs and Nature Instincts. I find things get soft sometimes if I've over-fed her rather than the brand.

I'd not put grain back in if you can avoid it. There's no biological reason for them to eat it as far as I can tell.

Yes I have found over feeding can give this result and make you assume the food doesn't suit.

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2017, 10:13:24 AM »
I've ordered some csj fit n fast salmon. I'll try him on that its only £22 for 15kg.

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2017, 10:24:53 AM »
I've ordered some csj fit n fast salmon. I'll try him on that its only £22 for 15kg.
It's good value.  Hope it suits him.

Offline Gazrob

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2017, 12:48:46 PM »
So do I poor thing keeps getting the runs. I got him at 7 months old and before I got him he was fed on bakers so I thought I'd get him something better but so far he's not quite right. I was going to get him the cheaper csj champ food but some people tell me it's not good so I've went with fit n fast. I've had a look at the ingredients of his latest food it says 50% lamb. The csj fit n fast is 23% salmon. I'm thinking it might be the protein that's not suiting him as its quite high.

Offline ips

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2017, 01:24:15 PM »
So do I poor thing keeps getting the runs. I got him at 7 months old and before I got him he was fed on bakers so I thought I'd get him something better but so far he's not quite right. I was going to get him the cheaper csj champ food but some people tell me it's not good so I've went with fit n fast. I've had a look at the ingredients of his latest food it says 50% lamb. The csj fit n fast is 23% salmon. I'm thinking it might be the protein that's not suiting him as its quite high.

If its any consolation it took us ages to find something that agreed with her in the end anything hypoallergenic seems to do the trick but we add a bit of chicken or whatever to make it more interesting as she remains a fussy little so and so and seams to think she is human ad therefore should be having what we are having 😞