Author Topic: I need reassurance again......  (Read 4908 times)

Offline Koslg

• Donator
Re: I need reassurance again......
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2017, 11:17:26 PM »
Humbug is agitated, grumpy, barky and rude when overtired. Some days he is like that others he's ok. He is now 7. I make him 'cuddle down and go night nights'. I ignore everything else and just say this. If he lies down I praise him. Sometimes (he's never bitten) I just pick him up an out him on the sofa next to me saying n-nights and don't let him move. He often just falls asleep instantly. It's like sometimes he doesn't have an off button like an overtired child.

Keep going. He loves you. Even when he's overtired.

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2017, 07:01:29 PM »
Thankyou Kosig,
I must admit I've struggled today. I'm off from work with the flu, nearly 2 months into my partner being away and stressed about chrismtas! My patience has worn thin However. Rather than putting him in the kitchen to force him to chill tonight  i thought' 'well if he tears up the sofa then he tears up the sofa...' , i sat relatively near the door incase he went for me and completely ignored his attempts to dig through the sofa.. It's lasted all of 4 minutes and then he crashed out.  :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Offline Marley_14

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2017, 10:19:15 AM »
I'm so glad to see you are making progress, it sounds like you have a fab trainer on board!

Tantruming toddler sounds very familiar to me! We've definitely found that Marley's behaviour is worse when he's over tired. (touch wood) he has gotten better at chilling out and napping as he's got older, although sometimes we do still have to tell him to go to sleep.

Also, we're very familiar with days where you wonder where all the hard work has gone. We'll have days of amazing progress where you really think you are getting somewhere and then he'll do something that makes me feel like we've gone nowhere at all. I've found keeping a, rather sporadic, journal of progress helped a bit at first. Now, I regularly get reminded by family and friends about what a nightmare (!) he was when he first came home and how much progress he's made 2 years on.

Best of luck with Leo's training and I hope you're able to get some answers from the vet about his hips.

Amanda

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2017, 06:17:58 PM »
Thanks Amanda, it's really reassuring to know I'm not the only one.
This week I have taken to marking down how he has been each day based on how I feel when I go to bed. Sort of like a reward chart for kids  :005:  I am basically putting a cross or a tick for a bad or a good day. Since Saturday I've got 4 ticks and 3 crosses. It is nice to mark it as I can see that we are making progress. 4 months ago we would have had 7 crosses haha.

I took today off sick from work as I'm suffering with nasty flu and expected him to be a live wire but I'm pleased to say he has done really well.. when I'm doing something like wrapping Christmas presents I'm choosing just to completely ignore him and today after about half hour of walking into other rooms and barking for my attention he gave in and settled in his bed. He would have never done that before but I also know my reaction  is something I have to concentrate on. When he was young I would have gone to see him if he barked or spoke to him if he cried. Now I just ignore and he seems to give in...

It's very little steps but yes as you say, family and friends are a huge reassurance. Everytime they see him they are shocked with how much better he is!
He's with me and family in the new forest this weekend and I'm actually looking forward to their reactions rather than worrying about what he will do!!

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2017, 06:54:58 PM »

The Leo training diary:
Mum let me in the MOST amazing exciting room today..mums  bedroom.... She said it was because she was coughing her guts up and wanted to lie in bed for a little while to recover...

Mum told me this picture shows that I did really well with TRYING to stay on my boundary mat (the beige blanket) even though she could clearly see my front end crawling off when I thought she wasn't looking..... I just wanted a cuddle but I tend to try and tunnel my way through the duvet when I'm in this exciting room... And I panic everytime mum coughs and lick her face non stop!
I think I did well and am giving myself a tick on the reward  chart tonight regardless of what mum says  :lol2:

Offline ips

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2017, 07:05:29 PM »
Brilliant, love that 👍
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline poptart

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2017, 07:57:22 PM »
Wow, he's a beauty!

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2017, 08:31:37 PM »
Poptart, a devil in disguise ;) most people think he is a girl! I'm bias ofcourse but think he is beautiful

Offline lynnemcneil

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2017, 11:10:01 PM »
Poptart, a devil in disguise ;) most people think he is a girl! I'm bias ofcourse but think he is beautiful
Leo is a lovely boy, he’s the spit of my Archie!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline lynnemcneil

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2017, 11:10:44 PM »
Leo is a lovely boy, he’s the spit of my Archie!!!

Archie is still a daily unpredictable growling snapping challenge!

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2017, 06:35:16 AM »
Hi lynnemcneil,
Cannot believe how alike they are! Even the freckled nose! How old is archie?

Offline lynnemcneil

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2017, 02:28:56 PM »
Hi lynnemcneil,
Cannot believe how alike they are! Even the freckled nose! How old is archie?
I know!! Archie is 10 months and sounds like he also has a very similar personality to Leo....doesn’t always like being touched, growls, nips, still mouths us when he’s overexcited (with a demonic look, I’m sure you know that look!) Definitely not a cuddly dog. Every day seems to be a challenge, 1 step forward and 2 back. We’re persevering though as he’s still our puppy! How old is Leo?? [emoji16]

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2017, 09:52:54 AM »
Haha lynnemcneil they sound so similar. However Leo is incredibly cuddly. It's bizarre. He's the most loving dog but also the naughtiest and mouthiest!!
I sure do know the devil glare.. . Too well haha.
Leo has just turned 13 months old. I finally feel as though we are getting there but as you say, sometimes it's one step forward 8 steps back haha

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2017, 11:38:42 PM »
Cockers...grrr!     Counting up from babyhood,  I've lived with eleven dogs , sharing a pram with a bulldog , thenterriers, labs, spaniels and mongrels .     The only one that had to be negotiated with, was Bobby the cocker.  Very sensitive,very difficult.   Sadly, the  only one whose health caused an early passing. 
You'll never forget your struggles with him , and that will make him really close in your heart.  Like the children you work with, you know that he gets confused too, and can't help it.    I called Bobby my special needs dog .    Only when you get a normal dog after them,do you realise how much you put into him,and how much satisfaction you got out of any improvement.  But oh yes,the red mist exists.
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline Leo0106

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2017, 12:52:50 PM »
Love your post Phoenix haha.
I sometimes think 'How can I love something that makes me so angry?!?'
And then I realise if he was a human child, he could throw just as much hell and I wouldn't even second guess my love.

I'm currently on cloud nine as apart from  a few angry nips when I've told him not to do something he has been the best dog. .. I'm at the point where I am excited about being with him at times I would have usually dreaded. He's also sleeping  a massive amount during the day... I worried at first but am now beginning to wonder whether this is actually how much he needs!