Author Topic: Windy Cocker  (Read 2301 times)

Offline AndyB

• Donator
Windy Cocker
« on: December 14, 2017, 04:18:38 AM »
My Jazz is now nearly 13. He is diabetic and nearly blind but still a happy boy.  Unfortunately he has recently developed an unpleasant health issue.  He has become very windy.  In the evening it is worst, after his dinner and it is positively poisonous.  It is costing me a fortune in scented candles.  When I get up in the morning I have to open the kitchen window to air the room, no matter how freezing it is. Jazz has always been a very "sweet" spaniel until recently - never had a problem at all.  Does anyone have any advice if there is anything I can add to his diet to help.  Jazz is my fourth cocker and none of the others have developed wind when they became elderly, (I am assuming it is connected to his age). 

Would be grateful for any advice or to hear if anyone else has this problem with their spaniel.

Offline BonnieScot

• Site Member
Re: Windy Cocker
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 05:23:21 AM »
With my elderly Border Terrier (and young Bonnie) it was always food related. So if nothing has changed there, I might try a little bit of charcoal and if not resolved, then ask the vet.

Bonnie recently picked up someone's sandwich on the street, and lets say she was clearing rooms for 24 hours afterwards!

Offline AndyB

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 04:28:58 PM »
Thank you.  Yes I know the feeling.

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 10:38:20 PM »
Poor old Jazz  :luv: I think the meds for diabetes can cause wind  ;) may be worth having a chat to your vet and maybe getting some probiotics for him? I have a tube in the house you are welcome to - just need to work out how to get it over to you!

Offline AndyB

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 06:28:52 AM »
Thank you Jayne.  I have to take Jazz back to the vet early in January with a urine sample and to be weighed so I will ask their advice then.  He is an elderly gent now, sleeps a great deal and has very little vision but he still has his ever wagging tail and a good appetite.  Unfortunately we don't go for walks now, because he cannot see he is completely traumatised if I try to take him out.  I do understand as the lack of vision has obviously affected his confidence.  However, he is very happy pottering around the garden and I have to accept that.  I do miss our walks though.  Hope you, Pearl and Coral are well and I wish you all a Very Happy Christmas.

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 10:33:08 PM »
I would guess there is a gut  bug which needs antibiotics. .
Or what medication is he on for the diabetes?    I tried metformin  for Type 2,  and did the same. Stopped it when I had to fly to Australia, or other passengers would suffocate,    and also realised that it was the metformin causing gut pains and diarrhoea .
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline AndyB

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 09:17:47 PM »
Thank you Phoenix.  I had not made the connection with his medication, he is on Caninsulin by injection, but the problem definitely coincides with him being diagnosed with diabetes, in February this year.  I know Metformin can cause these type of symptoms in humans.