Author Topic: Barking like mad!!  (Read 2214 times)

Offline Natalielouise56

Barking like mad!!
« on: November 26, 2017, 08:15:19 PM »
So Joey has turned into a barking machine in the last week or so. He is currently teething- the vet said he seems to be suffering quite a bit with his teeth so we are thinking that this could be one reason- he’s barking out of frustration but then again he tends to make funny moaning noise when it seems like his teeth are bothering him. But he is barking loads at the moment and we are starting to worry what the neighbours might think!  >:(
What is the best way to deal with this? We are mostly trying to just ignore him (we first let him outside to see if he needs the toilet) but often he just seems to be doing it for the sake off it!!
Help please?!?

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
Re: Barking like mad!!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 08:57:28 AM »
Probably his teething are having an effect on his barking.  Try giving him frozen wet flannels to chew, or kings with frozen babana, poor soul.

Teaching them the bark command along with the opposite command, be quiet, is the way to go. Have a look at this video on YouTube, it really works, I followed this for Dylan and it trained him very quickly. Good luck.

Lesley and Dylan
https://youtu.be/0vtn8NhofOw
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 09:18:18 AM »
I know exactly how frustrating this is for you. Mine seems to have a bad habit of barking when I let him out, mine isn't due to teething  :-\ as he is 1 year old. He just doesn't like birds flying over his garden.

I will be watching this thread for any tips

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 09:20:35 AM »
Probably his teething are having an effect on his barking.  Try giving him frozen wet flannels to chew, or kings with frozen babana, poor soul.

Teaching them the bark command along with the opposite command, be quiet, is the way to go. Have a look at this video on YouTube, it really works, I followed this for Dylan and it trained him very quickly. Good luck.

Lesley and Dylan
https://youtu.be/0vtn8NhofOw

I taught mine to bark when I say 'Jett talk' and he seems to stop when I say 'Jett be quiet' however when he is running around the garden like a nutter barking his head off, he pays me no attention when I say 'be quiet'  >:D
I'm hoping mine is just going through a phase and will soon realise that barking at the flying birds does nothing.

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 11:10:12 AM »
We get pheasants in our garden, and Dylan is sure he is meant to retrieve them (well, that's what I was born for  :lol:), so he will bark at those. He sees them through the glass doors of the lounge, and goes mad, but I make him sit and wait and stop barking before I let him out. He will then see them off with manic barking, and racing round the garden, but I don't know what I can do about that! He will obey 'speak' and 'quiet' in other circumstances though. Plus the hand signals help, as per the video.

My fingers are drunk this morning, I mean Kong with frozen banana  :lol2:

Lesley and Dylan

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 11:15:43 AM »
We get pheasants in our garden, and Dylan is sure he is meant to retrieve them (well, that's what I was born for  :lol:), so he will bark at those. He sees them through the glass doors of the lounge, and goes mad, but I make him sit and wait and stop barking before I let him out. He will then see them off with manic barking, and racing round the garden, but I don't know what I can do about that! He will obey 'speak' and 'quiet' in other circumstances though. Plus the hand signals help, as per the video.

My fingers are drunk this morning, I mean Kong with frozen banana  :lol2:

Lesley and Dylan

Jett is exactly the same so its pleasing to hear that mine isn't acting too strange  :005:
I don't actually mind him doing it as like you said its in their natural instinct, however I worry that my neighbours might get frustrated by his barking, they are probably more frustrated with me shouting 'be quiet Jett'  :lol:

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 11:21:56 AM »
My OH says I worry too much about the neighbours and me bellowing: ‘FFS, Henry, stop barking!’ out the back door is much more annoying than the barking itself!

Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline Theo961

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 12:11:00 PM »
My OH says I worry too much about the neighbours and me bellowing: ‘FFS, Henry, stop barking!’ out the back door is much more annoying than the barking itself!

Lol I do exactly the same but in this strange load whisper. 😁
All I do now if it's early in the morning or late at night I take him up the garden on his extension lead, otherwise he charges round barking like a Looney because there could possibly be a cat, hedgehog or bird in the garden.

Offline Natalielouise56

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 09:19:49 PM »
Thanks for your advice guys.
I’ve watched the video a few times and maybe I’m being a bit daft but I don’t get how the last bit works. Somebody knocks, the dog barks, he does the silent signal, he treats the dog. I don’t understand how this is teaching the dog to be quiet if the dog still barks first? Please enlighten me?!

Offline ips

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 09:10:25 AM »
Good point natalie, you arte in effect rewarding the barking.

eze goes bananas when anyone comes to the door or into the yard, I have tried everything including ignoring but nothing works, I have accepted that it is her way of protecting what she sees as her territory . like many things is cocker land I have given up on it ...lol
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2017, 09:18:35 AM »

eze goes bananas when anyone comes to the door or into the yard, I have tried everything including ignoring but nothing works, I have accepted that it is her way of protecting what she sees as her territory . like many things is cocker land I have given up on it ...lol

Haha I totally understand what you are saying. I've given up on trying to stop Jett going mad in the garden, he seems happy to protect his garden from the birds flying over, so I'm now leaving him to it.

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2017, 09:30:57 AM »
Imthink the guy in the video is focusing on the knocking because many dogs go bonkers when there is someone at the door. We live down a country track and there are seldom knocks at the door, so I am happy for Dylan to bark when there is someone there. So when I trained this command, I didn't do the knocking bit.

I had him sit in front of me, I had the treats and the clicker. I used the command Speak, along with the hand signal, and when he barked, I clicked and treated and gave praise. You have to watch like a hawk and do it immediately they bark. When he got that that I taught the command Quiet, with the hand signal of putting my finger to my mouth, like a shush gesture. If the dog is quiet, click and treat.  Do this a few times a day, for short period as with other training, and they pick it up really quickly. The clicker is a real aid, it's the first dog I've used a clicker with, and it really reinforces everything quickly.

If it's easier with out the knocking as per the video, don't feel you have to follow it slavishly, adapt it to your own situation. Dylan will give a bark when there is someone at the door, he doesn't go demented like some dogs, so that isn't a problem for me. Big birds in the garden is though, pheasants, partridges and sometimes a hawk comes to try for the little birds. He will go ballistic trying to get through the patio doors, and I don't want that, so I make him sit and use the quiet command til he stops barking and scrabbling at the door. Each time my hand goes to the handle he starts again, so I just continue to keep him sitting and quiet until he stops barking when I go to the door handle. It takes a lot of goes  :lol2:. Finally, when he is quiet I will let him out, and of course he goes rocketing round the garden having a bark, but the birds have gone by then anyway  :lol2:

The hand gestures are really good, if you have an appropriate hand gesture for all your commands it helps as the dog watches you. Dylan will bark and quiet just by hand gesture, and do other things Imhave taught him, with just a hand gesture and without a verbal command. This is useful if your dog ever goes deaf, as my last dog Milo did.

Hope this helps  :D

Lesley and Dylan

Offline Londongirl

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2017, 12:11:04 PM »

Can you give her another behaviour to do that is in opposition to the barking? We’ve taught Henry he must have a toy in his mouth to greet people. We built on that for door behaviour - he has to run to the kitchen when he hears the door bell and get a toy, and stay at the kitchen threshold holding the toy until released. Impossible to bark when he’s doing all that!
Rachael (me) and Henry (him)

Offline ips

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2017, 12:46:57 PM »

Can you give her another behaviour to do that is in opposition to the barking? We’ve taught Henry he must have a toy in his mouth to greet people. We built on that for door behaviour - he has to run to the kitchen when he hears the door bell and get a toy, and stay at the kitchen threshold holding the toy until released. Impossible to bark when he’s doing all that!

Ah but, she can bark with a toy in her gob..its quite comical as obviously its a muffled bark 😁
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2017, 01:38:14 PM »

That's a good idea!